Winery Tours in Tuscany

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winery Tours in Tuscany

I am looking for a tour of multiple wineries in the Tuscany region that leaves from Florence and returns to Florence. (I will not have a car in Italy.) Can anyone recommend such a tour? If so, do you know the approximate cost?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I would be interested in something very similar to this...
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM

This is one of the main tour operators in Florence:

http://www.caftours.com/en/chisiamo.htm
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM

You might also consider hiring a private driver/guide to tailor a day for you visiting multiple wineries. Several names have been mentioned here so I assume a search will bring them up.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I see request like this often and I am curious what it is you really want. Is it to taste and buy the wine, to see it made, to watch it grow??? Italy is not like Napa and it is not easy to get winery appts. If all you want is to taste and buy then that is a common thing. What is your expectation?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:02 AM

topping for Monica
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
I can highly recommend Luca Garrapa owner of www.hillsandroads.com. He is based nearby in the Siena area and will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. He will also make suggestions if requested. He took us to 2 wineries as well as to several of the hill towns over 1.5 days. Very reasonable rates. Terrific guy. Great English. But as Bobthenavigator said, Tuscany is not like Napa/Sonoma where there are tons of wineries catering to the public. We enjoyed the ones we visited. Luca made prior arrangements for each one. They helped us get a feel for Italian wines. We ordered a case and had them shipped home. We also bought a small bottle of Truffle Oil at one of them which I think was my wife's favorite purchase the whole trip. Should have bought the larger size! Dave
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:12 AM

I took the half day Chianti tour and really enjoyed it. We went to a winery with a "castle", toured the winemaking operation, then the castle, then sat in the garden and tasted 4 or 5 wines along with food accompaniments (cheese, prociutto, bruscetta, biscotti). We also stopped at a small hill town to take a walk and have a gelato. Check the website for prices. It was reasonable and fun.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:32 AM

If you are specifically looking to do a wine tour in Tuscany, I can highly recommend Rebecca from Tuscan Wine Tours. I got her name from another travel forum and went on a tour less than a month ago.
She's a professional Sommelier and we actually learned a lot during our tour. We visited 3 wineries in a day and none of the bigger ones, so we actually got to speak to a wine maker and a vineyard owner and, yes, this was not expected but a great experience.
Rebecca's web-site is www.tuscan-wine-tours.com. We paid 100 Euro including lunch in a winery which was more than reasonable for what we got.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:10 PM

If you want to know about wine-making as well as to taste wines, you could check http://www.wineandchianti.com/ although I suspect they cater mainly to groups. Similarly, www.sunflower-tours.com can do a half or preferably full day tour for you, but again you'd probably need to get some like-minded companions together. The alternative is to do some research and take the SITA bus towards Greve and stop at places like Castello di Verrazzano which have tours for whoever shows up at the right time.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Has anyone ever used this service: www.limoinflorence.it?