Mom's 60th! Tuscany and ...? Lost!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wonderful travelers helped me last year and I need you again! My mom turns 60 in July at the height of tourist season and wants to do 2 weeks in Europe. One week in a villa in Tuscany with a car so we can drive around to all the lovely hill towns. And one week in a big city, vibrant atmosphere. Here's the thing: She and her husband have been to Florence, Rome, Milan, and Venice. So have my husband and I. Just 6 months ago. Would rather not revisit so soon. None of us spent time in Tuscany on those trips so ideas for villas that have a great location for exploring would be FANTASTIC! As for the second week in a fun, vibrant city, help! She'd love to go to Barcelona. Is that too far? Airfare seems to be about $300 pp round trip from Florence (fly into Florence, do Tuscany for a week via car, fly Florence to Barcelona, 5 nights, fly back to Florence 1 night, fly home). Are there closer cities I'm not thinking of that would fit the bill but aren't the 3 big Italian cities mentioned before? No Paris either. So lost! This is for 2 adult couples, no kids. We could start somewhere and end in Tuscany or start in Tuscany and end somewhere else. Suggestions desperately welcome!!! I thought of the Riviera, but gambling is not her thing and I'm not sure they qualify as that big city thing...then again, I know v. little about southern France! Thanks so much to all!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM

If you're really interested in somewhere outside of Italy, I'd suggest looking into fares out of Bologna or Milan. I seem to remember that fares from Florence are going to be higher than some of the other alternatives, although going to Barcelona may not make much difference.

For example, I just plugged in bologna to paris july 16 returning the 21st and came up with a $210 fare. The same dates in and out of Florence were an additional $100. But to Barcelona was still $300.

Also, a night in Bologna wouldn't be such a bad way to end your trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Let's say you base around Pienza. If so, flying in and out of Rome wouldn't be out of the question, and it might give you more budget flight options.

If it were me, I would go to whichbudget.com, and click on flying out of Italy. Try Rome, and see what options you get for discounted flights. It may be inspiring.

Is Barcelona a bigger city than Nice? I don't know at all... just asking.

How about Amsterdam? I've been on flight from Amsterdam to Florence. You might also check Pisa as an airport for Tuscany, depending on where in Tuscany you want to stay.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM

What about London? Cooler weather in July and lots to do: cathedrals, castles, theater, concerts, day trips, etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to fly back to Florence for one night. Book an open jaw ticket to Florence (Pisa/Rome might be cheaper) with return from Barcelona. You can take an overnight ferry from Livorno to Barcelona.