Wine-Tasting in the Dordogne

Jan 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Wine-Tasting in the Dordogne

Hello all,

I am an American living and working in Paris, and am planning a week-long trip to the Dordogne River valley in mid-April. We will be staying in a gîte just outside of La Roque-Gageac (near Domme); my wife and our young boy are looking forward to enjoying the best that this amazing region has to offer.

My question centers around the experience of wine-tasting in this region. I've read about a few, well-publicized experiences (such as the cellars of the Château de Monbazillac), but am interested to hear from anyone that has come across a real gem in this particular area. We have developed a real appreciation for south-western French wine, and are looking forward to delving as deep into it as possible while we are there.

Any wisdom, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jan 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I have never visited any cellars in this area, but I did note that a number of local producers do have booths at the St. Cyprien market on Sundays, and I'm sure at other larger markets such as Sarlat as well. You might want to sample their wares there and then follow up with a visit to some of their cellars to delve more deeply.
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I, too, would be interested in more information on this topic. Thanks. Anyone? Anyone?
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
ira

Hi C,

We brought back 3 bottles of wine from there. Chateau Monbazillac 2001 is the nectar of the gods.

A visit to the Chateau is also interesting.

We did not go to any vineyards, but bought bottles of locally produced wines at the markets (5 - 8E) for excellent products that aren't shipped outside the region.

See my trip report for reviews of wines from the region:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-pla2au

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM

You can find signs on the Nationale between Périgueux and Bergerac for wine tasting in the Pécharmant area. For a greater range of wines, the wine museum/institute on the Bergerac waterfront offers wine tasting.
Feb 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Thank you Ira - Your pictures are great and raise my anticipation level every time I go to them.
Michael - That's great and we will add that to our trip.
I keep hoping StCirq and/or Stu will share some secrets on this thread.
Feb 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Hi, robjame - it's just not much of a "wine tasting" region, that's all. That's not to say there aren't some fabulous local wines (Bergeracs, Pécharmants, Monbazillacs, Fitoux...), but you're not going to see "dégustation" signs up all over the place the way you will around, say, St-Emilion or Bordeaux.

If you're going to be in or near Le Bugue, I'd suggest you stop by the store called Julien de Sauvignac. He's on the left as you exit Le Bugue headed toward Le Buisson, after the Leader Price and before the Bricomarché. He has an extensive cellar of locally produced wines (and liqueurs and other items). He sometimes has formal dégustations, but will usually let you try at least a few things if you seem serious about buying. He's got fabulous in-depth information about the local vintages, too.

Then there are the open-air markets (do you need a list of them)? At every one you can taste a variety of local wines.

Hope this helps.
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Thank you StCirq - This will be a help and if you have a list of markets I would appreciate it. You are a fantastic resource.
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM

robjame: happy to help. Major markets are:

Sarlat: big market Saturday, small market Wednesday.

Le Bugue: Big market Tuesday, small market Saturday.

When are you going to be there?

Lalinde: Thursday

Les Eyzies: market on Monday in summer

Domme: Thursday

Montignac: Friday

Le Buisson: Friday

Roufignac: Sunday

St-Cyprien: Sunday

Terrasson: Thursday

Feb 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Great list StCirq. Thanks.
Here is when we will be where.