Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wine region near Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wine-region-near-paris-631771/)

alc1974 Jul 18th, 2006 12:47 AM

Wine region near Paris?

hi i am going to Paris for 6 days this september

would it be possible for me to do a day trip to a wine region?

would it be feasible?

i was thinking burgundy or maybe the champagne region?

thanks! :)

Trudaine Jul 18th, 2006 03:09 AM

Burgundy and Champagne are indeed the wine growing areas closest to Paris. You can find rather disneyfied day trips to the Champagne houses, but champagne making is very specific.

However, with only 6 days in Paris, I wouldn't leave the city.

BTilke Jul 18th, 2006 03:16 AM

If this is your first trip to Paris, why not stay in the city for your six days (which will fly by) and try various wine bars? There are many that focus on regional wines--Sancerre (in the 7th arrond) for that region, Dokhan's in the 16th if you want to work your way through a variety of champaignes, and so on.
However, if you're been to Paris before, then you can easily go to Burgundy or the champagne region for a day. You could also do a day trip to the mellow, attractive city of Angers. Right next to their medieval chateau (worth seeing on its own merits) is a Maison du Vin where you can taste (free!) many different wines from that part of the Loire Valley.

Kate_W Jul 18th, 2006 03:19 AM

Will you really have a full 6 days in Paris, or do you have 4 days, plus two "travel days" (i.e. days in which you are either arriving or leaving Paris). If the former, then if you really want to see another part of France, by all means squeeze in a day trip (or day trip with overnight stay). If the latter, then I would recommend that you focus on Paris, and get the most out of the experience. (I note that some of your other posts indicate that you're doing a bit of a "tour of Europe" in a month. You shouldn't pack so many places into the trip that all you see are train stations, airports and countryside whizzing past.)

The champagne region is quite close to Paris (about an 80 minute drive and probably a train ride of similar length). You probably would be best to book a mini-bus tour, so that someone else can organise wine-tastings etc. If you were to stay overnight, the main towns seem to be Reims (pronounced a bit like "Rance" with lots of rolling and gargling sounds on the R - very large), Eparnay (small but rather crowded with tourists) and Troyes (less of a champagne centre, but supposedly a lovely town with beautiful old buildings, quirky museums (museum of tools, museum of knitting?) and - large outlet malls. (Troyes is the knitwear capital of France.)

alc1974 Jul 18th, 2006 08:09 PM

thanks! i will do heed your advice :-)

i was just considering going to chartres and on the way back do versailles ( i read both are very near the center of Paris )

is that doable?

or should i just pick one?