Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wine on the Train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wine-on-the-train-535652/)

arewethereyet Jun 9th, 2005 08:03 PM

Wine on the Train

I've read that you can bring your own picnic and wine on the trains. This sounds like so much fun and will be much less expensive for our family of 4 than purchasing food on the train. My question is: although it will be nice to have some wine on the train, for most afternoon trips drinking an entire bottle will be too much. Are 1/2 bottles of wine commonly available at wine stores, or do you drink what you like of a full bottle and just cork it and take it along with you? I had even considered purchasing a couple of half bottles here before the trip, which probably makes no sense at all!

Underhill Jun 9th, 2005 08:11 PM

How many adults are in your family?

arewethereyet Jun 9th, 2005 08:12 PM

2 adults

Marilyn Jun 9th, 2005 09:54 PM

Where are you traveling? I would probably cork it and take it with me, but in Italy there are many quite decent, very inexpensive wines, in which case you could simply toss whatever was left over.

kleeblatt Jun 9th, 2005 10:24 PM

In Switzerland there are 5 DL bottles (instead of the standard 7 DL bottle) available. You can buy these bottles on the train too. There are also bottles with screw on lids available too, which might be better to transport.

MelissaHI Jun 9th, 2005 11:08 PM

I agree with Marilyn. In Paris I bought a couple of full bottles of wine for just $2 and they were wonderful! And being so inexpensive, I didn't feel too bad if I couldn't finish.

caroline_edinburgh Jun 10th, 2005 12:06 AM

Which country are you talking about ? In the UK, stations in major cities generally have a small grocery shop which sells 1/4 or 1/3 size bottles and the white wine will be chilled.

arewethereyet Jun 10th, 2005 09:20 PM

We'll be going through several countries on the train. Start from London to Paris, then on to Gruyeres and Zermatt in Switzerland, then into Italy with stops in Stresa and Florence. When we take the night train from Florence back to Paris - no problem - the bottle won't last long! If anyone has any suggestions for good picnics on the train, I'd love to hear what your favorites are!

platzman Jun 11th, 2005 04:30 AM

The four basic food groups for train picnic fare:
1 Sandwiches
2 Fruit
3 Cookies or pastries
4 Bottled water and wine
I've seen people on trains consuming various pates, quiches, salads and once I watched someone consume an entire small roast chicken!

suze Jun 11th, 2005 08:36 AM

Most local made Swiss white wines (excellent BTW) have screwtops not corks.

Hit any bakery for an assortment of fabulous pre-made sandwiches and pastries. Or a deli counter at a large grocery store for quiche or pate baked in pastry.

Most train stations have decent bakeries or shops to grab food to go.

I agree with platzman for the 4 basic train food groups.

suze Jun 11th, 2005 08:37 AM

<I had even considered purchasing a couple of half bottles here>
p.s. now that's just crazy talk :-)

flanneruk Jun 11th, 2005 09:02 AM

Basic food groups are sandwiches, fruit or pastries?

Well, that's certainly pretty basic. But what about some real food?

On the Eurostar, fish and chips from one of the chippies opposite Waterloo? A takeaway Chinese or Indian? A lunchbox from Yo Sushi, or from any supermarket? A mixed delicacy (latkes and the like) from Gaby's in Charing Cross Road. Or just the stuff from Selfridge's food hall if you want an easy life.

In France, any traiteur will offer you a lot more than a couple of sandwiches. In Switzerland, I grant you, you're probably reduced to something tedious.

But in Italy, most tavole calde will wrap food - pasta, contorni, or the meat dishes - up in heatproof containers. Any decent salumeria will offer a range of ready food way beyond just decent cheese and charcuterie. And rosticcerie are there precisely to sell you decent roast food.

Switzerland apart, being reduced to sandwiches or pastries if you're starting a journey from London, Paris or Florence is an admission of failure and lack of imagination.

suze Jun 11th, 2005 09:05 AM

flanneruk, your ideas all sound delicious but a little messy for toting onto the train, non?

ira Jun 11th, 2005 09:16 AM

>...a little messy for toting onto the train, non?<

ES* trains have tables. One need only open one's hamper, set out the table cloth, the crystal, china and silver and enjoy.

Decant white wine into a Thermos to keep it cool.

((I))

Actually, I have seen folks bring roast chicken onto the trains. A large bread makes excellent napkins.

rbrazill Jun 11th, 2005 12:47 PM

Why not just share it with your fellow passengers? A great way to meet folks.

platzman Jun 11th, 2005 12:54 PM

You think the dining car workers would mind if we just took a few tables for our GTG? After all, we do have all this food with us and we gotta eat.

caroline_edinburgh Jun 13th, 2005 01:34 AM

I think taking fish & chips or a curry on to the train would be pretty inconsiderate towards your fellow trravellers. It's bad enough getting the last train back from Glasgow, with people consuming burgers & chips all around.

suze Jun 13th, 2005 06:50 AM

i think 'rbrazill' has the winning answer! share it with your seatmate and make some new friends.

metlc Jun 13th, 2005 07:00 AM

"Picnic"??

More like the best moveable feast you'll ever have.

Train stations in major cities have incredible food and drink shops. Noteworthy here: Zurich, Lucerne, Frankfurt, Milan and Rome. Even smaller towns like Chur and Montreux have good markets next door.

I spent two weeks living off of great bread, cheeses and $4 bottles of fine Barbera and Prosecco while watching the alpine scenery breeze by. Don't worry -- you'll finish the bottles. And cry for more.

arewethereyet Jun 14th, 2005 09:18 PM

This is sounding better and better all the time. The good thing about Europe is that you walk so many miles that you don't have to worry about all this incredible food and wine!