Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WINE EXPERTS--please recommend a good book on Tuscan wines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a trip planned for June 2006 to Tuscany, where we will base ourselves near Montepulciano. My husband is a wine expert, and is really looking forward to visiting Montalcino and tasting Brunellos.
I would like to buy him a book for Christmas about wines in Tuscany. He has a current Parkers Guide, but I was hoping for something good specific to Italy.
I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM

Mitchell Beazley publishes a series of books called "Touring in Wine Country" under the general editorship of Hugh Johnson and they have one for Tuscany. I haven't read it, but their guide for NW Italy (Piedmont, Aosta and Liguria) is the wine-lovers bible for my area, and I am sure that the Tuscany one will be equally as good. It gives detailed information on all the wine areas, reccomended routes, stories about the towns and history of both the wines and cuisine as well as info on restuarants (all the ones in our guide are ezcellent) hotels and places of interest for a wine person. But may I suggest throw away that Parker! There are so many small wineries in Italy that its a joy to try them and find new varieties and not be influenced by Mr P. And you are not considering coming to Piedmont? Really now if you want the best Italian reds (and cuisine) you can't not come here! Enjoy.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 01:11 AM

"Touring in wine country Tuscany" by Maureen Ashley and Mitchell Beazley is indeed an excellent book. It contains maps, recommends producers etc. and is an invaluable guide to wineries in Tuscany. It is not a large book but a couple of bottles and the book would make an excellent Christmas present! Montepulciano is a good base for the area with plenty of info. on wineries etc. available in the town.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Here's another vote for "Touring in Wine Country Tuscany" by Maureen Ashley.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Touring Club Italiano also has a good book
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I knew you Fodorites would be helpful! Thank you!

I'm still a bit confused, though.
I found a book by Mitchell Beazley called
"Brunello to Zibibbo: The Wines of Tuscany, Central and Southern Italy (Mitchell Beazley Classic Wine Library)" (hugh johnson doesn't seem to be involved)

AND

"Touring in Wine Country: Tuscany"
by Maureen Ashley/Hugh Johnson (no Mitchell Beazley)

I think you're all talking about the 2nd one, but want to be sure.

Sampaguita...
We WILL be in Cinqua Terre for 2 nights. Which Piedmont wines should we try??

Thanks again!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM

If you haven't read Vanilla Beans and Brodo, you should definitely get hold of a copy. It's not a wine guide, per se, but you'll learn an extraordinary amount about Montalcino wine from it.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq. I looked that up on Amazon and it looks GREAT!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Definitely talking about the second one. "Vanilla Beans & Brodo" is also a good read as it is written an Aussie living in Montalcino.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Yes it is the Maureen Ashley book, she also writes the NW Italy book and lives in Rome, we correspond from time to time.

Cinque terre hardly counts as Piedmont, but you should find a few good bottles there. You must try Barbera d'Asti (not Alba) 99, 2000, 2001. (Avoid all 2002 of any variety in Europe, the year was terrible and any good wine producer didn't turn out one). You can find 2003's out, but I think they need a few more years. And of course the big reds (and expensive) are Barolos and Barbarescos, 99 and 2000 should be good. A lightweight version and cheaper is Nebbiolo d'Alba, and if you can find it try Fresia d'Asti. Cinque Terre whites are so so, but look for a bottle of Pigato from further down in Liguria, its drier and more character then the local Vermintinos. Next time you come back to Italy you should come to Piedmont, base yourself around Asti with a copy of Maureen's other book, you will be pleasantly suprised. September/October is the best time to come

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM

The "sequel" to Vanilla Beans and Brodo is called, if memory serves, Bel Vino and is specifically about the story of Brunello in the Montalcino area. Unfortunately, it is not available in the US. I had to get mine from amazon.uk.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips everyone.

Sampaguita--We will be sure to try some of the wines you suggest. My DH will be so excited to see all your good recommendations. And we will try to make it to Piedmont someday soon....

Time to go shopping...
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Another book but not on wine that looks like worthwhile reading is new one about a British expat in Tuscany who devises horrible recipes in this comic novel.I love the reviewer's description
of the character Gerald Samperquot;. Imagine a British John Waters crossed with David Sedaris, than add a dash of Tarquin Winot." the narrator of one of my favorite "food" fiction books, John Lancastr's macabre, funny, wonderful The debt of Pleasure."COOKING WITH FERNET BRANCA by James Hamilton-Patterson.
You gotta like that title