Wine bars/dining Freiburg im Breisgau?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Switzerland next month and have opted to take an overnight detour to Freiburg in the Black Forest, a city I've wanted to visit for some time. As I enjoy German wines, could anyone suggest a wine bar/restaurant in town with a good selection of regional wines? Someone on another forum recommended the Italian restaurant Enoteca, but I believe their emphasis is (not surprisingly) Italian wines.

Also a nice cafe in town for breakfast?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I have a page on Freiburg on Virtualtourist.com Maybe you can do a search there. It should be easy to find. (I am german_eagle there.)

I recommend the "Haus der Badischen Weine" right next to the Münster church. They have a good selection of local/regional wines. Bought a couple myself

I.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Nearby Kaiserstuhl might be a better bet for wine tasting.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo--I already looked at your VT pages, lots of useful info I'm definitely going to try your recs for Kolben Kaffee and the Haus der Badischen Weinen and am very much leaning toward the Gasthaus zum Stahl for dinner!

Other VT recs incl. the Dreisam ufer Cafe look good.

As I only have one day (arriving about noon, leaving about the same time next day for Switzerland), I plan to spend my time in Freiburg. But will definitely keep Kaiserstuhl in mind for future trips.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Just a quick note to thank people for their tips. I had a very nice time visiting Freiburg.
I did go to the Haus der Badischen Weine and they were very helpful. I had a glass of wine on their terrace and then bought two bottles to take back with me.
I had a light dinner at the Adelhauser Weinstube
http://www.aws-freiburg.de/

Good food, friendly service, inexpensive. I arrived fairly early, was the only customer for about half an hour (it was a Monday night), but was still made to feel welcome.

I stayed at the InterCity hotel, which was a good value (73 euros a night plus a free pass for the Freiburg area mass transit). Right next to the train station and airport bus stop and an easy walk from the old town.

Freiburg was fun, I would like to go back. Had a good wander around town, enjoyed the center of town food market/hall with all its little restaurants and champagne bar. Did some souvenir shopping--a half kilo of coffee, two bottles of wine, and a little German cookbook "One Pasta, 50 Sauces." Looking forward to trying out the recipes.

Thanks again!

The bus from the Basel airport to Freiburg is quick and comfortable and a good value at 20 euros.

Any Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg experts out there: as the plane took off, I noticed a small hilltop suburb where EVERY house had a large swimming pool! Anyone know which suburb that is?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM

I cannot help with that suburb on the hill, sorry. Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed Freiburg (and Basel, too, I hope!) It's one of my favourite German (smaller) cities and I'd love to go back.

Ingo