Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wine and scenery-Which region Dordogne or Loire Valley?

Jul 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
trippygirl

Hi, I am planning a girls trip to Paris (in Oct) and want to include 3 days to a wine region, since we are both wine lovers. We'd like great scenery with fall colors. We know wine tasting is different than the U.S., but are interested in learning more about French wine. We love red. I have read comments about staying away from Bordeaux, but has anyone done the day tours given by the tourist bureau. There is a tour to the Medoc region, and we thought it might give us a good overview. Is this a waste of time?? Our initial plan was to take the Medoc tour on Sat. then rent a car and road trip thru the countryside for a few days. After seeing pictures of the Chateau's in the Loire valley, we are tempted to change plans. It looks like there would be beautiful scenery in Loire Valley. Any suggestions???

Jul 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM

The Dordogne is barely a "wine region." I mean, there's wine produced there (Bergeracs, Pécharmants, Monbazillacs, and a few more), but I don't think any oenophile would head to the Dordogne for wine.

Bordeaux is another story. What comments have you heard about staying away from there, and why? That's pretty bizarre. If you're serious about red wines, the obvious places to go are Bordeaux and Burgundy. I've never been on any of the wine tours offered by the Bordeaux Maison du Vin or tourist office, but I have heard good reports of them, and they are both wonderfully staffed offices with a great resource base.

If reds are your thing, I'd not go to the Loire. Apart from Chinons and a few other appellations, the area is mainly known for its whites.And the Loire scenery is IMO not even remotely comparable to the beauty of the Dordogne (assuming that's where you were referring to when you mentioned a road trip through the countryside after touring the Médoc).
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM

I'm chime in to say that I very much agree with StCirq. The Loire Valley is nice, and the chateaux are fun to visit, but I don't think the scenary is that impressive, or even great. The Dordogne area is MUCH more beautiful, impressive and spectacular. And the Bordeaux area's wines, of course, are much better.

For driving through the countryside for several days, choose the Dordogne. There are castles there, too, though they're older.
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
ira

Hi TG,

Ditto St Cirq,

If you want red wine and scenery go to Burgundy.

If you want scenery - the Dordogne.

> I have read comments about staying away from Bordeaux, ...

Not if you want red wines.

Jul 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM

We visited the Dordogne area in May and loved it. Fall foliage would most likely be beautiful there. After leaving the Dordogne we headed to St. Emilion for a few days and enjoyed it very much. It is an interesting small town full of wine shops with tastings and some caves where bottles (many thousands) are stored. There are vineyards as far as the eye can see so I don't think fall foliage would be good. We stayed on a vineyard that was walking distance to town which was great since we didn't want to sample wine and then drive. It is easy to drop a car in Libourne (Europcar was within the train station) and take train to Paris.