Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Windstar Cruise is booked - now what to see

Notices

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Jeanne

We have booked a cruise on Windstar from Italy to Spain. We'll travel the first week of November and I have lots of questions and need lots of help! What to expect for weather - should we even bother to pack a bathing suit? What are "do not miss" sites at the ports -
Civitavecchia
Portoferraio
Portofino
Monte Carlo
Nice
Marseille
Port Vendres
Barcelona
We know there are arranged tours of all these places, but want your expert advice on what's off the beaten path. THANK YOU!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:39 AM
gretchen

Anybody who takes a cruise and then asks about places to visit along the way is really missing the boat -- so to speak. You don't take a cruise if you are really interesting in experiencing destinations. The stops are too short for that and the fear of missing the boat is too great. Since you have chosen that mode of travel, relax and do what they offer from the ship. They will get you back in time and they have organized tours of the main attractions which is all you'll have time for anyway.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:42 PM
cherie

we've taken to med cruises and have not one the tours through the cruise line If you would like to e-mail me I'll be glad to share what we did. We went to Monte Carlo, Nice, Marseille, and Barcelona. We've been to Rome . the port of Civitavecchia several times. We are going to Portofino this summer for 10 days. There are lots of things you can do on your own.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:44 PM
cherie

Sorry - in my haste to reply - to should be "two" and one should be "done"

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Jeanne

Thanks, Chittygal - I'll send you mail!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:33 AM
JB

Hi Jeanne,

We did the Rome to Nice cruise on Windstar 2 years ago. We did not do any of the tours they offered but rather just walked around and explored the towns on our own. That was really fun - we were on our honeymoon; however, looking back, I wish we had at least gone on one or two of the guided tours. We would have learned much more about each location. So although I don't have specific things to tell you to do, make sure you take advantage of tours that sound interesting and the location talks they give every night.

Hope this helps.

jb

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Surlok

Weather: no bathing suits would be necessary. The weather will be likely too cold.

Ports:

Nice: you can tour Nice itself,old Nice more charming, and two museums, Chagall and Matisse, or go to either St. Paul de Vence, Eze, or even to Cap D'Antibes, and see the Picasso Museum there. All of them are worth visiting.

Portoferraio: I just strolled by the village. Just fine, not wonderful.

Portofino: quite small, but lovely. You can go to Sta. Margherita Ligure, quite close, by bus.

Marseille: go to Aix en Provence. I gather the ship will offer you this possibility, or you can do it on your own, by bus or train.

Port Vendres: go to Colliure.

Civitavecchia: if you haven't been to Rome, well, some hours in Rome are too little, but better than nothing. You can either take the ship's tour, or take the train. The station isn't far from the port, although not close either. Or go to Via Appia Antica.

Barcelona: lots to see here, all Gaudi buildings, the Picasso Museum and a stroll by the Ramblas and the Gotic Quarter.

Otherwise, check the Europe board at:

hhttp://www.cruisecritic.com

for additional information on the ports and excursions.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:23 PM
jeanne

Thanks, too, jb and surlok. I'll keep your suggestions. We will be flying to Rome a few days early and staying in Barcelona a few days later to see a little more.

Surlok, when you say it'll be too cold for a bathing suit - how cold will it be? I don't mind not having swimming weather, but I certainly wouldn't mind some calm seas!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Surlok

Well, Jeanne, I did nearly the same itinerary on the Seabourn Legend, two years ago. We sailed out of Barcelona in late September, and the cruise ended in Nice in early October, and it was already cold to sea bathing. I barely used the ship pool on a sunny day, and some days, it was rather rainy and cold, as in Portoferraio. I gather it will be colder in November, since the reminiscent Summer heat, which I could still enjoy, would be probably gone by November.