Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Windsor Castle Visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/windsor-castle-visit-16502/)

Mike Miller Aug 18th, 1997 03:17 AM

Windsor Castle Visit

Planning an Oct visit and I need to know if this is worth putting on our visit list. Would like to hear from any of you who have visited Windsor Castle this year. I am interested in knowing if the entire castle is now open and if St. George's Chapel is open.

Tricia Sep 3rd, 1997 02:48 PM

Hi, was looking for a question/answer on the Rhine River and spotted your question. Since then of course, Princess Diana has passed away. We just returned from London and saw St. Georges cathedral but you cannot go inside. We saw Buckingham palace but not Windsor castle, but before we left I did find a virtual reality website with pictures of all the rooms, tour times, prices, etc. Try Alta Vista or Excite and type in "Windsor Castle, England" and see if you can find it. You can even E-mai the Queen, but didn't save that website either. Good luck!

Karen Sep 3rd, 1997 06:12 PM

Windsor Castle and the town of Windsor are both worth the trip. I think you can still take the Green Line bus from around the corner of Victoria Station. You can go to both Windsor and Hampton Court on the same day...they just drop you off at one or the other, then when you are ready to move on, go out and wait for the bus to pick you up and take you to the other site. It makes a nice day and a drive...both places are wonderful to visit.

Lisa Sep 4th, 1997 06:17 PM

At Windsor Castle, I loved Queen Mary's doll house, although I am (supposedly) an adult. The house is a large palace, decorated by all the finest craftspeople of the day. The details are amazing, including murals on the ceilings, marble baths, and monogrammed linens.
If you visit Hampton Court, take the tour of the kitchens. It/s fascinating!

Bill Irving Sep 9th, 1997 07:39 AM

We were in Windsor in mid-June. Windsor is well worth the visit for the castle & the town. We went there as a day trip out of London. Took the train, which stops a
few blocks from the Castle. The town has a number of pubs, small shops & retaurants. The Castle is the largest one in Britain (Caerphilly castle in Wales is the 2nd largest
but is not occupied.) We were able to see all of Windsor Castle, including the Chapel, except for the royal appartments. The Royal family was in residence at the time.
We were there during the time of the Royal Ascot horse races & it was something to see all the people in their fancy clothes & hats. In fact, we saw the Royal family leaving
their complex & going out to the races. The gardens inside the castle walls are very pleasing also. You can do the castle in 1/2 day including train to & from London, so that leaves time to do other things. We have been to Windsor
twice & both times, after visiting the castle, we went down to the river front (THAMES) & took a 2 hour boat ride on that part of the Thames, you even go through a lock. It is much
more scenic than the Thames inside London. It is usually a very relaxing daytrip & fits in well if you have something big planned for the following day, or that same
evening. We have gone to Windsor during the day & then back to London & catch the overnight train to Edinburgh. That fit the schedule & Britrail pass usage just right.
Also the school town of Eton is just across the river from Windsor & may also be worth a vist if you have time.

Christina Sep 9th, 1997 09:31 AM

It's been a few years since I was there, but I
enjoyed my visit very much and definitely think
it's worth the trip. For trips around London,
what I do NOT think is worth the time nor trouble
is a trip to one of the university towns
of Cambridge or Eton. I visited Cambridge
and it's just a small college town of no particular
interest and the school itself means nothing to
me, personally. So unless you have some special
interest in upper-class British education or these
particular towns, I wouldn't go there.