Reload this Page >

Windsor Castle / Eton or other London side trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Rick J. Trojnar

Hi,<BR><BR>Our family will be visiting London for one week in March. We are wondering if a day trip to Windsor Castle is worthwhile? Any other day trips you would recommend?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Rick

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:17 AM
lscott

It's according to your interests. We think any day trip is worthwhile if you have time. Distances are short and train travel is convenient. There are 2 train stations in Windsor...one leaves from Waterloo and one from Paddington with change at Slough but it is the shortest trip. Both are short walk from castle. Guide Friday bus will take you thru Windsor and Eton. Can rent audio guide at Windsor and go at your own pace. Lot of of Stuff to look at, a real scenic castle with view and of course if you know some history it is wonderful.<BR>We left on mid morning train and returned to London by 4 or 5PM train so it is not an exhausting trip.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Mike

Rick: If your into Castles Windsor will do it for you. The town has many shops and pretty good eating pubs. I think for a family trip it's a good one.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Dottie

Rick<BR>It's been years since I've been to Windsor Castle but I remember loving it. When I first saw Windsor, I remember thinking it's the castle I pictured in my mind when reading books as a child.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Matt

<BR>While on a 3 week visit to England last May I spent an enjoyable Sunday at the Castle and surrounds. Particularly enjoyable were the exhibits (especially the extensive one on the restoration of the castle following the recent devastating fire, complete with photos and charred relics) and actually seeing things I'd only read about before. Best advice : don't go on a weekend when the crowds tend to be highest. Once in the grounds, the line-ups to the internal exhibitions can be long (such as to the gigantic and amazing dollhouse). The architecture and furniture are really interesting, the small amount of gardens and parkland are wonderful and the layout is well organised. A day well spent. Wear comfortable shoes.<BR><BR>Loads of stuff to do in London too. Kids will enjoy the London eye, Madame Tussauds and the London Dungeon, to name but a few of the hundreds of things to do. Hampton Court is fun too, as are the amazing museums (Art, History and Modern ones) which are very kid-friendly and provides for much interaction. Can give you more info on Canterbury, the Cotswolds and travelling Eurostar if you like. London's Great !!!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Kris

Hampton Court is also a reasonable distance from London, about a 1/2 hour by train. Go to www.hrp.org.uk to see if it would interest you.<BR><BR>Windsor is also close to London and is worth the trip out. The surrounding town has a lot of shops and places to eat.<BR><BR>Those two would be my top two recommendations, you might also look into Greenwich (Maritime museum, Observatory), Bath, Warwick Castle, Oxford/Blenheim.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Annie

We thoroughly enjoyed our day trip to Windsor Castle. Also, the town is charming. We took the train and had no problems. We were there in late September, 1998 and the crowds were small.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Joanne

Gotta agree with Dave about day trips. <BR><BR>I can only add that Kew and Greenwich can be reached on the Tube (Greenwich is actually Zone 2 and I believe Kew is 3), which means that they are cheaper and quicker to reach and you are less tied to a train schedule.<BR>