Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Windsor and Runnymede - can we do both in one day? And if so, how?

Windsor and Runnymede - can we do both in one day? And if so, how?

Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Windsor and Runnymede - can we do both in one day? And if so, how?

I'm starting to plan for our May visit to England. A couple things on our wish list this time are Windsor and Runnymede. We (my mom and I) have been to Windsor before, but this time plan to go one one of the few days when Frogmore House is open since these occur while we're there. We'd also like to visit Runnymede to see the site of the signing of the Magna Carta and the Kennedy memorial. Runnymede is either three, four or five miles from Windsor depending on what source you consult. We'd like, if possbile, to do both in one day but I'm not sure of transportation between the two. We will be coming from London by train on a day trip and will not be renting a car in Windsor. We'll be dependent on public transportation and our own two feet, such as they are (my mom is 76).

So - if we take the train to Windsor and visit Frogmore, how then can we get to Runnymede? Is there a bus that travels between the two? Will a taxi take us there and back without costing the earth? Or should we plan to give each area its own travel day and not try to cram them both into one day? We probably won't try to squeeze in a visit to Windsor Castle since we've been a couple times already.

As it gets closer to our departure date I'll probably have more questions to throw out there, but this is the one that came to my mind first.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:29 PM

Windsor-Staines bus 41/43 runs every 30 minutes (no Sunday service) and takes about ten minutes from Windsor. Alight Old Windsor, Bells of Ouzeley pub.

See http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod...ymede_walk.htm

Search this Thread