Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Winchester Hotel vs. Luna and Simone hotel in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/winchester-hotel-vs-luna-and-simone-hotel-in-london-346841/)

scubapuppies Apr 20th, 2008 02:13 PM

Winchester Hotel vs. Luna and Simone hotel in London

Any advice on which is better? Luna & Simone has a better rating on TripAdvisor but it appears that the Winchester Hotel is in a better location and has a nicer dining room.

Any other recommendations? Thanks as always, everyone! The advice on this forum is so helpful and much appreciated :o)

janisj Apr 20th, 2008 02:36 PM

&quot;<i>it appears that the Winchester Hotel is in a better location</i>&quot;

Those 2 hotels are less than a 2 minute walk from each other - they are essentially in the same place.

scubapuppies Apr 21st, 2008 03:33 AM

Janisj, you sound so snarky in your replies, it's not helpful. And it's not just my posts, you've done this to others. It shows cowardice and a lack of maturity on your part.

To rephrase my question on a simpler level; which hotel is a better choice - Luna &amp; Simone or the Winchester Hotel?

kleeblatt Apr 21st, 2008 03:38 AM

Scuba,

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

scubapuppies Apr 21st, 2008 05:43 AM

Read other janisj posts - she's posted some rude replies. The purpose of this Fodors forum is to help each out, not give unhelpful answers that come off patronizing. People ask questions here because they truly don't know. The first visit to any location requires a great deal of planning. It is a quest for information, deciding between the good &amp; bad advice that the Internet offers, determining what you want out of the trip, how the itinerary will best fit your profile and time constraints. Independent travel is a wonderful thing and the reason we're all here on this forum.

That's all I was trying to say; I do appreciate good advice, not snarky replies! No biting involved...

janisj Apr 21st, 2008 06:00 AM

scubappuppies:

sorry - but you are out of your ever lovin' mind!! I have only tried to help you - and there is not one snarky word in the above post. You asked about the hotels and stated you thought the Winchester was in a better location. I posted that they are practically neighbors and there is no difference in the locations. That is not rude - that is fact.

I know why your nose is out of joint - because of your thread about having three days in London and how to get to Stonehenge.

&quot;<i>Author: scubapuppies
Date: 04/20/2008, 12:58 pm
I usually don't do organized bus tours; however, my husband &amp; I are only going to have 3 full days in London &amp; I'd love to see Stonehenge &amp; Bath - and spend the rest of the time exploring London at a reasonable pace. Does anyone have a preference over Evan Evans tours vs. Golden Tours? They both have an all day trip to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath. Is there another way to do this, something smaller maybe?

Author: janisj
Date: 04/20/2008, 01:18 pm
You have 3 days in London and hope to see it in a &quot;reasonable pace&quot; -- including a full day out of town?

There are many decent organized tours - not much difference between the various companies.

But if this is your first time in London, I urge you to stay in the city. Assuming you are arriving after a long haul flight, you really only have 2+ days total since your arrival day may be a jet lagged fog.

Even if you are just coming across from the Continent, three days is not enough time to scratch the surface in London. Save you trips to the countryside for next time . . . . .

Author: scubapuppies
Date: 04/20/2008, 03:14 pm
We'll be coming in from Dublin so jet lag is a non-issue. A reasonable pace to us during the first visit to a city is quite fast paced with full days yet not exhausting; an orientation of the city, usually done on foot or an open bus tour (getting off at stops as we desire), a short list of things I've researched as must-sees for a longer duration. I'm well aware of the time limit, janisj, and what we are capable of seeing and more importantly, enjoying at our &quot;reasonable pace.&quot;</i>

I can only assume you got upset because I put the &quot;reasonable pace&quot; in quotes. That was not being snarky - that was relating my reply to your your post.

I have been trying to help you - and going out of my way to make sure the Winchester is where I though it was (which, by the way, you could have done by looking them up yourself on any mapping site)

What a ridiculous reaction . . . . . .

scubapuppies Apr 21st, 2008 06:18 AM

It's not ridiculous; you did sound snarky. And not just to me. You come off as abrupt in your posts. You could have said &quot;I researched the location and...&quot; but you didn't - you sound patronizing and that's just not helpful or good Fodor's etiquette.

So, getting off the playground now, I'd like to get back to my London research. Without snarkiness, please... c'mon janisj, lighten up!!!

Merseyheart Apr 21st, 2008 03:02 PM

Hey Scuba, I have stayed at neither of these hotels. But I do tend to trust the reviews on Trip Advisor, and the Luna and Simone comes up in the top ten of London hotels. I've also discovered a location map for each hotel listed (on the bottom right of the page), and it shows the location quite clearly. I've been to England several times, but it's only in the last few years I've learned to use Trip Advisor.

If you stay at either hotel, please post to TA (or here) and let us know how it works out. Have a good trip!