HELP! How to book when making reservations Through Hotel Web Sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe that a hotel that is as popular as Chateau de Rochecotte does not have a secured web site for booking. I am running into this problem with booking at various hotels on our trip. They are asking me to send my credit card info through email to reserve a room!

I know from reading many postings on this forum that I am not the only one booking reservations over the internet. Can you please tell me what you do to make your reservations other than send a fax? I am amazed that these hotels do not have secured sites!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:43 PM

I just don't worry about it. The odds are greater that your credit card number will be stolen by an unscrupulous clerk than by someone who just happens to be grabbing unencrypted credit card numbers out of the ether. Keep a watch on your credit card whatever way you use.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Not that many hotel websites have secured booking. I've sent my credit card information many times via email with no problems. I know this is risky but I just take my chances and I tend to agree with WillTravel.

Regarding faxing your information, I've read that some people who want to reserve a room will send two separate faxes splitting up their credit card number.

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:55 PM

Actually, I did the same once when sending my credit card number by e-mail, at the advice of person I was buying from: send 2 e-mails each with one half of the credit card number.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Guess we are extremely fortunate here in the US, as all of the hotel sites I have dealt with are secured. I don't remember coming across this problem 2 yrs. ago when we went to Europe.
I have asked several people about emailing half of the credit card info in 2 separate emails and they agree that probably would work.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:20 PM
cmt

I send a fax.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:50 AM

I split the info-send part by email, part by fax.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:56 AM

Traveler2

I telephone with my credit card number. It doesn't cost very much. I live in Europe but I actually had to telephone my number twice on my recent trip to Florida to hotels that did not have secure sites. I do like the idea of the two different emails though.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:09 AM

I've done this a number of times. After getting the email saying they have a room, I email back my acceptance and tell them I'm sending CC info by "snail-mail". Always been OK, and saved me a few dollars for the fax or call.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I use my Citibank Virtual account which generates a special number that can be charged for one month (can also extend the time, but most hotels will charge your deposit immediately and then you pay with your regular credit card in person).

I always use this card for internet purchases.