Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will we starve in Kilkenny on St. Paddy's Day?

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 06:25 PM
Donna

Hello, Friends! Leaving for Ireland shortly, with all reservations intact with one exception: second night in the Doolin area. Any suggestions for the B&B? Or should we take our chances?

Second, we'll be in Kilkenny for St. Paddy's Day. I know it is a public holiday: will the Castle be closed? Will any pubs be open? Will we starve?

Thanks. This is really worrying my husband, who likes to eat.

Best wishes!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 07:03 PM
leechase

I can't answer most of your questions, but I can recommend that when you are in Kilkenny, go to Langton's Pub for a meal. we really enjoyed it.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Al

Here's a "second" on Langton's. Beautiful garden room in the back. Excellent food.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 07:36 PM
Lin

Hi! You'll love Doolin. We stayed at OBrien's, they run the ferry to the Aran Islands as well. Their house/B&B is at the end of the road, past the center of town on the left. If you get to the ocean, you've gone too far. I think her name was Patsy, and she was great to us. Go to OConnor's pub for great music too!

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 10:50 AM
hcw

And don't miss Quin Abbey - it's in the general vicinity of Doolin, as I recall, and we would've never known about it if the lady at our farmhouse B&B our first night hadn't told us about it!