Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will we need air conditioning in San G around June 6?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Debby

We have booked La Cisterna( a room with a balcony and view) in San G. The Hotel la Bianco has Air conditioning, but I understand the views in la Cisterna are prettier. What will the weather be like? Do the evenings cool off in Italy?

Thanks

Debby

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
john

We were in S.G. last May and stayed at the Leon Bianco which is located across the square from La Cisterna. The Cistern is between both hotels. I don't think that either hotel would have a better or worse view as the both look at each other, unless of course their are rooms that overlook the hills, etc.

We had a room overlooking the sqaure and were very pleased with the room and the price. I think La Cisterna has their own restaurant for dinners, versus Leon Bianco's breakfast deck, so they are viewed as more upscale and a much higher room rate.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
Rex

I think that this question is partly about the weather and partly about you. The fact that such places don't have air conditioning gives you some idea - - that at least SOME people don't (ever) consider it "necessary". Your after-question focused on the evening - - if all you plan to do is sleep there - - 10 pm to 8 am, then I tink that Tuscany is very pleasant in the evenings in early June - - might even get too cool to leave the windows wide open.

But if you want to use the room - -say for a nap in the afternoon, it might indeed be warm. So a lot depends on where you're from and what you're used to. I submit that it will be like Dallas or Albuquerque on June 6.

I spent a week just 30 miles from San G around June 20 in 1998. It was never scorching hot, and we used the fireplace (in the villa) almost every morning.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Wayne

I would agree that A/C is almost never needed unless there is an unusually hot spell -- which you can't ever project; but statistically you can expect not to have a problem. I have always felt that all the way through June, the weather all over that part of Italy is pretty comfortable, especially in the evening, when there is usually a cool breeze blowing. Like Rex, I have had to close my windows in Tuscany at night during June. However, having lived in both Dallas and Albuquerque, I would have to say that the Tuscany weather might be similar to Alburquerque at that time of year, but not to Dallas. And to be more specific with my own comparison, I would say it would be more like some place in north Georgia or in the mountains of Tennessee or North Carolina.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:11 PM

topping