Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Will Turkey's Visa officers give us trouble? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/will-turkeys-visa-officers-give-us-trouble-983262/)

broncoal06 Jun 28th, 2013 05:38 AM

Will Turkey's Visa officers give us trouble?

Took forever to finally get clearance to take a two-week holiday to go from US to Greece for a wedding in August. But now that I'm actively seeking airfare, I see it's considerably cheaper (almost $600 per person after it's all said and done) to fly into Istanbul and book a separate flight to Athens rather than fly into ATH.

I'm aware of the visa, and that's no problem for me; however, DW's passport only has 4 months validity after the trip, and I've read/heard you need 6 months validity to clear the passport desk in Turkey (although I've also heard 3 is enough from people I've spoken with at Turkish consulate).

Has anyone had experience with this issue before, or tips? Thanks so much!

jamikins Jun 28th, 2013 06:00 AM

To avoid any problems can you just renew it early?

Heimdall Jun 28th, 2013 06:37 AM

Some official references for you (asuming we are talking about a US passport):
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...y_requirements
http://travel.state.gov/passport/pro...sing_1740.html

The first states that "Passports should be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry into Turkey..." The second states that with Expedited Service you can get a passport renewed "in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door".

Since it appears that your wife's passport has enough validity for the trip to Turkey, I would go with that, but you seem to have enough time to renew the passport if that's what you wish.

Heimdall Jun 28th, 2013 06:43 AM

BTW, if you are just transiting through Istanbul on connecting flights, you may just stay airside and not even have to go through Turkish passport control. That's something you will have to check yourself with the airlines, though.

Improviser Jun 28th, 2013 06:58 AM

Where are you flying from that flying to Turkey and then to Athens will end up $600 cheaper than flying directly to Athens?

I'd take a step back from getting hung up on the passport expiry question and look again at how best to get to where you want to go.

What about time loss; what about extra expenses like food; will it involve having to spend an overnight coming or going? There is always more involved when you take an indirect route than just the cost of the airfare alone.

What prices to fly on what dates with what airlines are you comparing? I can see there being a couple of hundred difference but then you have to add the airfare from Istanbul to Athens along with any other costs incurred and allowing no value to lost time.

I have flown numerous times from N. America (usually Toronto) to Athens and would never consider going via Istanbul.

Improviser Jun 28th, 2013 06:58 AM

Where are you flying from that flying to Turkey and then to Athens will end up $600 cheaper than flying directly to Athens?

I'd take a step back from getting hung up on the passport expiry question and look again at how best to get to where you want to go.

What about time loss; what about extra expenses like food; will it involve having to spend an overnight coming or going? There is always more involved when you take an indirect route than just the cost of the airfare alone.

What prices to fly on what dates with what airlines are you comparing? I can see there being a couple of hundred difference but then you have to add the airfare from Istanbul to Athens along with any other costs incurred and allowing no value to lost time.

I have flown numerous times from N. America (usually Toronto) to Athens and would never consider going via Istanbul.

brotherleelove2004 Jun 28th, 2013 08:41 AM

FYI-You can now purchase your visa for Turkey online here:

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en

If the website issues your wife's visa then you're good to go. If not, renew her passport.

PegS Jun 28th, 2013 12:46 PM

Either way, I would highly suggest the passport get renewed. Whatever the official guidelines are, I've read time and time again on these boards how some passport control agent will make some arbitrary decision that ruins someone's vacation.

Heimdall Jun 28th, 2013 01:21 PM

Broncoal06, it's up to you which way you decide to go, but with all the furloughs of US government employees this summer, there could be delays in processing passports. If you decide to use the Expedited Service, don't delay, or you may still be waiting for the passport to come back as the date of your trip approaches.

As I wrote before, you may not even go through Turkish passport control unless you leave the airport before getting on the flight to Greece. It wouldn't make much sense to pay for Turkish visas when you aren't going to stay in Turkey. In most cases when passengers have a connecting flight to another country they stay airside or in a transient lounge until the flight departs.

broncoal06 Jun 28th, 2013 07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies! We figured we'll need her passport anyway, so we're going to expedite it Monday. We are considering 3-4 days in Istanbul at the end of the trip, which I know many on here would say isn't enough, but we'll figure it out.

@Improviser: flying from Boston, found a flight in early August to IST for around $750 and a RT to ATH to $250, whereas BOS-ATH comes out to about $1650 for similar dates.

sf7307 Jun 28th, 2013 07:59 PM

We were in Istanbul a couple of weeks ago for 6 days - we loved every minute, but we could have seen all the main sights in 3-4 days.

Heimdall Jun 28th, 2013 10:17 PM

Okay, you will need a visa, then. I would imagine the good deal on your flight to Turkey is due to the "nervous nellies" staying away after the recent demonstrations. ;-)

Improviser Jun 29th, 2013 01:06 PM

Yes it certainly sounds like a great price. If adding some time to visit Istanbul also becomes part of your plan then it makes even more sense.

I'm surprised there is that much difference. I don't think that is normal so Heimdall may be right in his/her surmise.