Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will today's earthquake in Italy affect my trip to Rome?

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were horrified to hear about the earthquake in L'Aquila and very sad to hear about the deaths, injuries and destruction. We are feeling guilty to ask a question about our vacation in the midst of this tragedy. But, we have plans to leave for Rome in about 1 week, and have everything booked including flights, lodging, car.

Can someone advise if we need (or should) to cancel our plans? L'Aquila is pretty close to Rome (70miles). We are traveling with a baby so of highest concern is safety. Will there be post earthquake tremors? I' m not a seismologist but I have read concerns about post earthquake tremors. We play to stay in Rome with some side trips to nearby Ostica and Tivoli.

Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Why not contact your hotel and ask this question?

Yes, there is concern about aftershocks in L'Aquila. Italy's geography is such that most of the country is usually susceptible to tremors anyway.

If I had the funds, I would go to Rome today.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm not staying in a hotel
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Rome experienced some vibration but, according to friends, nothing more than that. I'm pretty confident life moves on in Rome.

Unless fear is something that haunts you, I see no reason to cancel a trip to Rome. I'm sure Romans will appreciate your visit.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Kitty:
Take it from a California earthquake veteran: 8 quakes, 5.0 or better on the Richter Scale (two of which were over 6.0)...the 1994 Northridge quake at 6.7 "totalled" 18 houses on my street, including ours which overlooks a deep Benedict Canyon, ...all 18 were ribboned off limits less than four hours after the 20-second quake. Six of the homes had to be bulldozed, the others had to go down to the frame. Our home was 17 months in the rebuilding process which included a mess of red tape....and we had every intention of returning as we eventually did. Actually only seven families came back, including us. My daughter living four miles away had one crack over the fireplace....most of our neighbors betond the aformentioned 18 houses had only supeficial damage. 72 people were killed in the worst hit areas in L.A. and vicinity...no one was hurt on our street.

<u>Bottom line</u>: we would jump on a plane to Rome tomorrow if we had scheduled to do so...with no qualms whatsoever.

Turkey has had far more devastating quakes, as has China and Japan, Uzbekistan, Italy and Romania... each of which we have visited "in between quakes", with full knowledge of their quake histories.

Perhaps an interesting side story:
The house next door had to be "bulldozed" ...they refused to come back, sold the lot to a software entrepeneur who built a beautiful place...went to NY to be married, and to bring back his new bride, but she refused to live in an earthquake area...so he had a nephew living there for several years, and finally leased it to Raquel Welch. I'm not complaining.

Stu Tower
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM

p.s...yes, and we'd not hesitate to take one of the grandchildren. I daresay, any of out neighbor "quakies" would do the same. Go and have a wonderful time..leave your trepidations at home.

stu
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM

If you're not staying in a hotel, then you could contact the people with whom you booked your lodging (I think you mentioned you had booked lodging) and they may be able to provide you with detailed information to calm your fears.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a SoCal native, so I've also experienced many earthquakes, and there's no way I'd compare quake damage here to what happens in ancient Italian cities. BTW, there was damage from this quake at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome.

But would I go to Rome next week? In a heartbeat! knowing the odds of being injured in a car accident on the way to LAX are greater than being injured in an earthquake in Italy.

Photos from L'Aquila:

www.tinyurl.com/cdle6f
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Jean...you're right...and I acknowledged this fact:

<i>Turkey has had far more devastating quakes, as has China and Japan, Uzbekistan, Italy and Romania... each of which we have visited "in between quakes", with full knowledge of their quake histories.</i>

I also wanted the OP to know tht even quake vets who had suffered severe damage would not hesitate to go to Rome now.
I think both you and I have made it quite clear, as have bella and NYCTS. Whether any of us have convinced Kitty that she could go on with her plans, remains to be seen. Gosh, I hope she doesn't feel that any of us has been too cavalier.
stu
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM

My DD is studying in Rome this semester, we just returned from a visit to see her. I heard from her this morning that there was no damage in Rome at all. She slept through the earthquake (her apt. is right behind the Vatican).
So I would certainly not change your plans.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
JBX

I was reading about the quake, and per one of the articles, Italy is close to two major geological fault lines, making it one of the most earthquake-prone countries in Europe. And of course, there's the volcanoes -- Mt. Etna and Vesuvius.

Most visitors don't give much thought to Italy being "seismic central" ..... given its' history of unstable topography, it seems strange that Italy hasn't implemented more stringent building codes. Or perhaps they have w/ newer construction? It'd be impossible to retrofit all the old stuff to protect people from the earthquakes.

Very few visitors to Naples/Amalfi Coast area give much thought to the day when Vesuvius has a significant eruption (and one day it will).
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Our hearts certainly go out to those who are suffering losses in Italy.
We plan on going tomorrow, flying into Milan, up to the Lakes and then over to VEnice.
What do our Fodorite friends have to say? Where are these faults by the way?
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM

We just returned from Rome 10 hours ago. We were actually staying at a bungalow about 27 kilometers (18-22 miles) from Rome when the earthquake hit. Other than seeing ALOT of emergency vehicles on the way home to Germany we did not see any damage in the area we were or when we drove past Rome. The only thing you may have to contend with there would be the protestors which we had the privledge of running into on sat 4 april. Even then though the protest was not out of hand in any way. Just be careful not to take the communist hand outs and beware of street pedlars and especially beware of purse snatchers and pickpockets male AND female. especially now with the earthquake and the economy. do NOT go down alleys. use the bus and train system to get around its easy once you figure it out. ie : bus stops are done by street names. 4 euro to be able to ride the buses and the trains all day long. ALL resturants have to let you use the bathroom. beware the streets and bathrooms are DIRTY. theres trash all over the city. alot of people are VERY polite and willing to help others will give you dirty looks. if you need any tips or suggestions on where to stay or how to get around ill be more than happy to help out. oh yeah and most places microwave their food and is VERY exspensive. [email protected] just title the email Rome or ill end up deleting it without reading it.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I'm really not quite sure what the concern is. If you're going to be in Rome and not in the actual earthquake-hit area, you won't even know it happened. We arrived in Mexico City many years ago on our honeymoon the day after a devastating earthquake occurred. Except for passing by some tent cities housing displaced citizens, we would never have know there had been an earthquake. (And, yes, I too live in California)
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM

“oh yeah and most places microwave their food and is VERY exspensive.”

This is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Just be careful not to take the communist hand outs."

I thought the whole point of communism was to take the hand outs.

"Do NOT go down alleys."

In Rome, how do you know which ones are the alleys?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM

janeelle:

As a new poster (April 2009), please be aware that you are not endearing yourself to any of the hundreds of Roma/Italia-loving Fodorites...including me.

<u>Criticsm</u>, yes....<u>wild generalizations</u>, absolutely no!

VJPB..I totally agree with your assessment...ridiculous is too kind a word for this type of nonsensical posting.

Jean..lol (I thought perhaps they were handing out communists to take home...now that would be something to see)

Janeelle...none of us means to be harsh...but please rethink your posts before you click on "submit"...I assure you that we are here to help..hopefully you will realize this as a result.

Stu
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Tower - Huh?

It's just one recent visitor's opinion. I assume she's "allowed" to report the good and bad. Please don't read any of my opinions of Europe. I absolutely love it there, but it's far from perfect.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Rome is far from perfect but some of the things people say? One can only wonder...
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Otzi
Otzi:
yes, of course, all posters usually write about both good and bad...I certainly do...but generalizations and broad brush help no one. Not ALL streets are dirty, not ALL bathrooms are dirty, the entire city is not plagued with beggars and pedlars, trash all over the city,(what?) MOST restaurants use microwave...etc....she's using the art of generalization beyond the helpful and acceptable.

And by the way, I'll read any posts I care to. Too much time in them wild Pocono's kid?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -