Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will there still be lines at D'orsay/Lourve in the afternoon?

Apr 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

For this trip (May 21-27), we decided to do some street markets, walking around, etc. in the morning and then hit the museums in the afternoon.

Since we are doing them in the afternoon, I wanted to know if we still needed the museum pass to bypass lines - will it still take a long time to get into these museums?

Here's the plan:

Tuesday: D'orsay in the afternoon
Wednesday: Versailles
Thursday: Lourve in afternoon
Saturday: Arc

We purchased the pass on our last visit, but we went in the mornings when it really helped us bypass the lines. I'm just wondering if we still need to purchase them to avoid lines. Also, we aren't going to many museums, and the only other things to apply would be the Arc and Versailles.
Apr 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM

We went to the Louvre late on a Wednesday afternoon, 3/28, and there was a line. It's open late on Wednesdays though.
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM

Yes. For lines for all.

Generally until just an hour or so before closing these have lines. Lots of tourists don't get up and get moving so you won't be alone in this theory!

(Versailles will be the worst, the tour buses will be in FULL swing by the time you get there!)

Apr 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM

It may depend what time in the afternoon you mean. My experience with both is that the lines in the afternoon are the worst, longer than first thing in the morning. That's because most because don't get an early start, I guess, or go there right after lunch. They may be lesser in late afternoon, though. I've been to the Louvre very late afternoon and it was fine, but that was on a day it stayed open until 9 pm or so. I've been to both around opening time, and the lines were not that long then, either.
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:01 AM

oh, I was referring to the Louvre and Orsay museums.
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:01 AM

If you buy a Paris Museum pass you can skip the regular lines. We used ours extensively on first trip to Paris. It also includes a transportation component which makes the pass quite convenient.

Here is the web site for more info:
http://www.paris-pass.com/index
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:48 AM

But you can't skip the security line with a museum pass, and those lines can be quite long. My advice would be to go to the Louvre and the D'Orsay on the evenings that they are open.
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM
ira

Hi A,

There are always lines at the D'Orsay.

You can buy your tickets the day before and skip the lines.

www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html

Apr 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM

Hi Crazy For Travel:

Thanks for the link for the Paris Pass. If we purchase the pass in Paris and want to do a river cruise on the Bateaux Parisien or use the Open Tour Bus Tour..these attractions would be free because we purchased the pass?
(they are listed..so I assume that is part of the advantage of purchasing the pass?)
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM

Yes, those are now included. I didn't mean to be misleading by saying that you skip all lines but believe me...the line for pass holders is much shorter.

We used the pass to visit the Bell Tower at Notre Dame...the line up to climb the tower was around the block. We had a 7 minute wait as pass holders.

We used it for Saint Chapelle, Arch de Triompe, The Louvre, D'Orsay and Rodin Musuem as well. It's very convenient.
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM

Hello again Crazy For Travel:
So.....if you get the two day Museum pass you can utilize the L'Open Tour Bus for two consecutive days..the same way you would use the Museum Pass??
Apr 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - well, that put a damper on our plans! We really want to do the markets first thing in the morning since I don't think they will be that great in the afternoon - am I correct?

Also, what time does "late afternoon" mean? Around 4-5pm?

Ira,

If can we buy the orsay tickets more than one day in advance? Can we do that for the Lourve also? And we can skip the lines as if we had the museum pass?

Apr 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM

I believe any attractions with limitations are listed in the PDF on the site. For instance, the Cruise is limited to one 60 minute tour. Unless otherwise noted, it would be unlimited admission and use. The PDF is quite useful as it has all the hours of operation for the included attractions as well as any daily closures.
Apr 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
ira

Hi A,

>can we buy the orsay tickets more than one day in advance? Can we do that for the Lourve also? And we can skip the lines as if we had the museum pass?<

1 and 2.
I think so, but I am not sure. I bought my D')rsay tickets the morning of the day before we went in the afternoon.

Google the websites.

If you have advance tickets for the D'Orsay, you go in a different door.

Not sure about the louvRE.

Apr 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM

When will English speakers learn that the name of the museum is Orsay, not D'Orsay?
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM

yes, ther will be lines most times of day. esp. afternoon. Try to get a ticket in advance, but I am not a fan of the multi-site day passes because I feel obligated to ue them, and I like to break up my museum/site days with wandering.

oh- also I was very surprised to find that some markets were better at 10-11 am. I thought you would want to go say between 6-8 am.
Apr 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the "Paris Pass" is different than the "Paris Museum Pass", right? Or is the Paris Pass just an official Museum Pass plus a transportation pass?
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM

mbchas, you are right.
I had the same question. I did some quick research.
Go to the following link I just posted, where I have compared this matter. I am seriously waiting some veteran to respond to it.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34986050

K.
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM

You can always skip the lines if you have the Museum Pass; that's what it's for as well as the discount. It puts you in a line with people who've thought ahead and purchased a pass.

It's LouVRE, not LouRVE, which should help when googling info on it....and pronouncing it.

And yes, the name of the museum is the Orsay. Calling it the d'Orsay is akin to calling the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History the Of Natural History.

Yes, the Paris Pass is some combo museum-transportation pass that may or may not save you money. I dunno, never used one nor am likely to, but it might prove useful for you depending on your plans.

I think late afternoon is very generally speaking a busy time to show up at any of the major museums in Paris. Going early in the morning or toward the very end of their opening hours is likely to yield the shortes waits.
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM

I think the confusion comes from the fact that it is the Musée d'Orsay so when people abbreviate it they refer to it as the d'Orsay...excluding the Musée part. I didn't realize that everyone was so sensitive on the board about spelling. We're trying to give helpful info after all...which is the point of the forum...not to pick people apart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO