Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Will roads be open-Innsbruck to Lienz end Dec???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/will-roads-be-open-innsbruck-to-lienz-end-dec-432598/)

WMart Sep 12th, 2008 12:14 PM

Will roads be open-Innsbruck to Lienz end Dec????

Could anyone please tell us what the roads will be like 27 Dec from Innsbruck to Lienz or that area?
We are dropping off our daughter & son-in-law at the airport and thought we would go on to Lienz. How long should it take and do you know of any good B&B's there or in that general area???

Cowboy1968 Sep 12th, 2008 12:22 PM

Going from Innsbruck to Lienz (probably via Brenner through South Tyrol), you will not use any roads with winter closures.
You can check the routing at viamichelin.com

Alec Sep 12th, 2008 01:29 PM

Whether you go by autobahn over the Brenner and through Italy, or over the Felbertauern road and tunnel, you are on main roads and if there is any snowfall, it will be quickly swept away.

bgoodwin Nov 15th, 2008 05:10 AM

What problems will my wife and I have driving in The Bavarian Alps in May-June, if any. We are 59-60 driven in alot of Europe but never in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Lake District.

altamiro Nov 15th, 2008 05:29 AM

>What problems will my wife and I have driving in The Bavarian Alps in May-June, if any.

Windy mountain roads - if you never drove in the mountains it can be a challenge.
Mind the cyclists, they have exactly as much right to use the roads as you.

Other than that I cannot imagine any dangers that you would not have wherever you live.

bgoodwin Nov 15th, 2008 06:54 AM

We have some concerns about road signs, directions and getting lost.

altamiro Nov 15th, 2008 07:10 AM

>We have some concerns about road signs,

Contrary to USA, European road signs are really signs, not pages of text posted over the road. They are supposed to be understandable for visitors from neighbouring countries. It is especially important for Germany as most of the cross-Europe traffic passes through the country.

>directions and getting lost.

Good map or a GPS (or both) will help.

nytraveler Nov 15th, 2008 11:17 AM

Your route would be all major roads. The only way you would have problems is if there is a blizzard on the day you're actually traveling - and none of us can know about that in advance.

ineedsnow Nov 26th, 2008 03:52 AM

It can never be 100% but it should be ok.

greetings from a white innsbruck

DalaiLlama Nov 26th, 2008 10:38 AM

"What problems will my wife and I have driving in The Bavarian Alps in May-June, if any"

There are times when late snowfall can cause road closures as late as early June. So if you're going into remote valleys higher up, check first. Other than that, pay attention, don't hog the middle of the road because you're afraid to go close to the edge, use the gears to help with the breaking when going downhill (get a stickshift if possible), and honk before you go around the tightest of tight bends where you can't see on minor mountain roads.

Bring good sunglasses and sunscreen, glare from snow and ice can be serious!

If you drive in Austria on the expressways, you're expected to have a road tax sticker - if your rental car doesn't already have one (it should, really), get it (at gas stations near the border, also post offices etc.).