Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Will Probably Cancel our UK Trip Next Month Due to Sick Doggie (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/will-probably-cancel-our-uk-trip-next-month-due-to-sick-doggie-772594/)

bettyk Mar 11th, 2009 06:13 PM

Will Probably Cancel our UK Trip Next Month Due to Sick Doggie

Well, we were suppose to leave in a month for a 3 week trip in the UK. Got our FF tickets last August. In November, our good friends decided they wanted to go, so got them tickets too.

Last week, good friend has 3 stents put in his leg and will have to have other leg done in 6-8 weeks so they won't make trip.

My 15 year old Golden Retriever, Gracie, has had some real problems with her arthritis since the first of the year. It got so bad that we didn't think she would make it another week much less another month. But our new Vet put her on Adequan injections and then she started on Prednisone the beginning of March. The Prednisone has definitely made a difference in how she feels, even if we don't know how long it will last.

Our dilemma is we decided to board her at the new Vet's instead of our usual facility which is more like a pet hotel. The boarding facilities at the Vet's are abysmal. Cramped, dark, noisy. DH and I decided we just couldn't leave her there for 3 weeks. And because of her precarious medical condition, we don't feel like our usual facility would be the best place either.

So, I think we've decided to just cancel the trip, redeposit all our miles and maybe do a trip next year with our friends. We know Gracie won't be with us much longer and I can't see her spending what little time she has left with strangers.

I know there are a lot of animal lovers here who will understand our predicament.

Jean Mar 11th, 2009 06:33 PM

I've been in your shoes twice in the past couple of years. It's a real tough situation, but it sounds like this isn't the time to go away. Believe me, a cancelled trip is less painful than not being there for your beloved pet.

I hope Gracie does well on her drug protocol.

cigalechanta Mar 11th, 2009 06:42 PM

Oh. I hate that situation. I went away boarding my Siameese cat and she died. I had a hard time forgiving myself.

bettyk Mar 11th, 2009 06:52 PM

I've been very uneasy about this trip ever since Gracie started doing poorly. But since our friends were on board, we felt we couldn't cancel and leave them out in the cold.

I think their dropping out made the decision easier. I know there will be other trips and I've already done all the leg work!

The only thing I'm sorry about is not being able to take advantage of the great exchange rate!

LSky Mar 11th, 2009 07:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your dog bettyk. blessed wishes.

LoveItaly Mar 11th, 2009 07:28 PM

I had that happen bettyk. Dissapointed to cancel the trip but our pup died when we would have been gone so I have always been thankful we cancelled the trip. Wishing you the best and may your Gracie's last days be as comfortable as possible as she is surrounded by the love you two have for her.

gracie04 Mar 11th, 2009 07:50 PM

As the owner of my own Golden Retriever (also named Gracie)I completely understand. Maybe this just isn't the year to go. Europe will still be there next year. Spend this time with Gracie, you'll be glad you did.

On the other hand, if you happen to live anywhere near Pensacola, Fl, your Gracie could hang out with me and my Gracie while you were away! :)

Johanna

azzure Mar 11th, 2009 07:57 PM

I can absolutely understand...I've often thought that trip insurance should include coverage if a pet gets ill or dies, not just a relative. We took our old dog with us on our last trip this past October to the Canadian Rockies. Since he died on December 1st, the Canada trip will always remain particularly nostalgic to me. He had such a good time, though, hiking with us and wading in Lake Louise!

bettyk Mar 11th, 2009 07:58 PM

Thanks, all. I knew all the Fodorite pet lovers would understand and commisserate!

gracie04, well we're over here near Houston but I've made that drive to Pensacola before. My Aunt lived there for years; uncle retired from the Navy and worked at Navy Point.

Half the fun of a trip is all the planning anyway, right?

bettyk Mar 11th, 2009 08:22 PM

azzure, I agree about the trip insurance. Since we don't have kids, Gracie IS family.

Glad you had one last "hoorah" with your furry friend. I'm sorry we didn't take Gracie on more trips, but she doesn't like riding in the car. She won't stand up -- just sits down the whole time! Doesn't like getting in the pool either. Very strange for a Golden. She use to love us to splash water on her though.

bettyk Mar 11th, 2009 08:25 PM

Some old and some more recent photos of our "baby".

http://pets.webshots.com/album/59556437Eitvbj

sashh Mar 11th, 2009 10:42 PM

I totally understand, but just one suggestion, have you considered having a house sitter? Someone to come into your home and look after Gracie?

A GR who doesn't like the car? Ours would jump in the car at any opportunity - even just to sit in the car while it was washed.

Dukey Mar 11th, 2009 11:31 PM

IMO you are doing the right thing. We refused to put our remaining dog into the kennel (an excellent one) over the past few years when we traveled and hired a house sitter instead. Last month while we were in San Juan our dog suffered a stroke and we flew home to have him euthanized immediately upon return.
We will never regret any travel decisions made with our pet's well-being in mind and I am sure you won't either. That "end" you know is coming is NEVER easy and can happen quite suddenly and always better if you are THERE for it I think. Warm good wishes come with the post for sure.

lennyba Mar 12th, 2009 05:52 AM

I absolutely think you are doing the right thing. You'll never get that time back. I had thought the same thing was going to happen with the trip we leave for next week, but sadly it was taken out of our hands. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if we had gone and left him.

Best wishes to you and your Gracie.

gracie04 Mar 12th, 2009 07:05 AM

I just took a look at your pictures. Aww, what a sweet face!!

Johanna

bettyk Mar 12th, 2009 07:17 AM

We have never gone the housesitter route because DH isn't comfortable with the idea.

We feel she just needs alot of TLC right now that nobody could give her but us.

Also, while the Prednisone definitely is helping, it also causes excessive thirst which causes excessive urination. She's already had a couple of "accidents" so now we make sure that she goes outside at regular intervals instead of just leaving it up to her.

These last few months have been so difficult. When she turned 15 last October, we realized that we had been so blessed to have her such a long time but also knew that the end could come at any time. When she got to where she could hardly walk, I cried every night wondering if we should just let her go.

But since taking the Prednisone, she's been to the park a couple of times and even tried to play with her "baby" the other day.

So I just want to be around to enjoy what little time she has left.

elcon Mar 12th, 2009 07:53 AM

My beloved Golden Retriever, Duncan, died last year while I was away in Italy. It still bothers me, but somehow, I think it was better for me not to have been there. There was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I still miss him terribly, but had he not gone on his own, I would have had to put him down when I returned. That would have been much worse. Our pets are gifts, follow your heart and save the trip. My best to Gracie.

bettyk Mar 12th, 2009 08:14 AM

elcon, I do understand what you are saying. But no matter how painful it will be for us whenever it is Gracie's time, I want her to be surrounded by the people who love her most in this world.

After we lost our last little dog, I remember the pain was overwhelming and I'm not looking forward to going through that again. But that's the responsibility we take upon ourselves when we bring these little guys into our lives.

I'm sorry about your beloved Duncan. But I know there will be other trips and I would be worried about her the entire time anyway.

travelfan1 Mar 12th, 2009 08:20 AM

As a dog lover and the former owner of a Golden myself, I sympathize with you. Our dog had allergies and was on Prednisone most of her life...made her extremely hungry. I wish you and Gracie the best and hope you get to travel next year.

Barbara_in_FL Mar 12th, 2009 08:26 AM

Betty, there are lots of us who have been in your shoes. We are lucky to have a fabulous and very trustworthy pet-sitter, as well as great neighbors, so we have been able to get away without boarding our animals for several years now. But when we were planning our last big trip, our 17-year-old cat (in renal failure for over two years at the time) was a huge question mark. She ended up taking a swift downturn before we left, and one of the small comforts was that we were there with her, not across the ocean. A 15-year-old Golden -- you have obviously given her lots of love and the best possible care. You won't regret putting off the trip, IMO. Best wishes.