Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Will Paris stores be open in Sunday in December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/will-paris-stores-be-open-in-sunday-in-december-570105/)

ginabee Nov 10th, 2005 10:37 AM

Will Paris stores be open in Sunday in December?

When I went last February, we were surprised that most of the stores were closed on Sunday.

My husband and I are thinking about a long weekend to do some Christmas shopping, and are wondering if stores will have extended hours prior to the holidays...

elaine Nov 10th, 2005 10:46 AM

just checked Galeries Lafayette
Mon-Saturday 9:30 am to 7:30 pm.
Those are the extended hours, but no Sundays.

ira Nov 10th, 2005 10:55 AM

Hi G,

>...we were surprised that most of the stores were closed on Sunday.<

That's the old-fashioned way. :)

The big stores are open late at least one night a week.

((I))

Christina Nov 10th, 2005 11:02 AM

A lot of the major dept. stores are open on Sunday for Christmas shopping in December. I suggest you check the particular stores' websites to see about when they plan to do that. I think if they do that, it's definitely at least the last two weeks before CHristmas.

Christina Nov 10th, 2005 11:16 AM

I know this isn't where you want to shop, but as an indication, FNAC has announced it's Christmas hours, and their stores that are usually closed on Sundays will be open Sunday 12/11 and 12/18.

grandmere Nov 10th, 2005 05:35 PM

I emailed Galeries Lafayette to see about their hours on 12/08 (It's Immaculate Conception, and I feared they might be closed as they are on some other holy days), and they said they would be open that evening (Thur) until 9:30. I was surprised at how late; probably for Christmas shopping.

Beatchick Nov 10th, 2005 07:59 PM

Not sure about extended hours but the Marais is the best place to shop on Sundays. But perhaps you were wanting to stick with le grand magasins?

AnthonyGA Nov 10th, 2005 09:58 PM

Large retail stores are only allowed to remain open on Sunday a few times per year; the stores themselves choose which Sundays. Most select a few Sundays around Christmas.

Family-run stores are exempt, if their employees are family members—they can open every Sunday if they wish.

In addition, in certain areas, exceptions can be made to the law to allow all businesses to remain open every Sunday. This is the case on the Champs-Élysées, which is why many businesses there are open all week long.

France still has “blue laws” that require a “weekly day of rest” for all workers. In practice, in this Catholic country, the weekly day of rest turns out to be Sunday. Companies (and often their employees) have been trying to change this for years, but the unions resist the idea, even though it would reduce unemployment.

Christina Nov 11th, 2005 09:07 AM

Stores in the Marais are exempt from SUnday closing laws, also. Areas that are designated as official tourist districts or something like that are exempted (which is why Champs-Elysees is on there).

Art_Vandelay Nov 14th, 2005 12:33 AM

Grand mère, Immaculate conception is no holiday here, actually I wasn't even aware it existed until I went to Spain, where it is a big holiday, usually the first skiing excursion for those who can afford it.

Kate_W Nov 14th, 2005 03:41 AM

Plan your trip to arrive on a Thursday, so that you can catch the late opening hours that a few of the Grands Magasins offer on Thursdays (some are open late Wednesdays, others are open late Thursdays; but all of them stay open until at least 7:30 pm on regular business days anyway). The suggestions already listed here should provide you with enough shopping options for Sunday. You could also get up early to visit one of the open-air markets (mostly food, but you could buy wine and chocolate as gifts).

grandmere Nov 14th, 2005 07:25 AM

Art, that's interesting. Dec. 8 is a holy day at the Catholic Univ. I work at here in the USA. I'm surprised it's not noted in France but it is in Spain.

LoriNY Nov 14th, 2005 09:11 AM

DH and I were there last year, the first weekend of December. ALL the stores were opened on Sunday, and it was a madhouse!!!