Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will one of the airlines have direct flights from New York to Croatia next year??

Will one of the airlines have direct flights from New York to Croatia next year??

Sep 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I was looking into planning a trip in 2008 to Croatia. I thought I read somewhere that next year one of the Airlines would have direct flights from New York (JFK) to Croatia?? Flying direct is a big consideration for me so I was wondering if anyone had any info on this??

Sep 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Good question. Right now, connecting through CDG in Paris seems to be the best option?
Sep 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM

No information.

If any airline will do it, it will have to be Delta. But they have not announced new trans-Atlantic destination for next summer yet, and it's quite unlikely they'll choose Zagreb as I have not heard any of such rumor.

I'll say the chance is very low (<5%).

Croatia Airlines do not have any longhaul planes that can get to NY.
Sep 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Canada's Skyservice did start Toronto-Zagreb non-stop this year.
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM

You could check with www.croatiatravel.com.
(I am not affiliated, I have used them successfully).
But, if the direct flight doesn't pan out, don't give up. I have been able to find brief manageable layovers of only one stop out of DC (through Frankfurt and Vienna)--used different airiines each time. I imagine out of NYC you can do even better--and the direct flight would most likely be to Zagreb. Since most people head to the coast, you'd still have that transfer ahead of you.
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Actually, that was through Paris and Frankfurt. I have travelled through Vienna en route to Croatia, but the layover was too long.
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM

There are no direct flights right now that I know of, and I don't know if there will be in the future. Croatia is fabulous but it definitely takes some doing to get there. We flew BA and had to stay the night in London both going over and coming back because of the inconvenience flight times (although we flew in November, which is off-peak season). I wouldn't choose BA again because you would have to switch airports, more than likely, even if you don't have to stay the night. As mentioned above, there are flights connecting through CDG and Frankfurt.

Tracy
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Weekender

Croatia Airlines will/or already has become a partner with United and the Star Alliance program. Award travel may be a possibility.

Sep 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I haven't heard of any nonstops from JFK to Croatia for 2008. A travel agency tried to start a nonstop charter from Chicago a couple of years ago, but it never got off the ground. The only nonstop from North America is the one mentioned from Toronto.

But I'd recommend trying to connect through an airport other than Heathrow or CDG. Perhaps you could try Czech Airlines through Prague or Malev through Budapest. Or if you can connect through Zurich, Munich, or Frankfurt, any of these would be preferable.

You can also go to Venice and hop on a ferry that will take you to Croatia, so there are several options, but no nonstop flights.

Sep 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM

The shortest stopover we had was in Dublin, with onward flights from Aer lingus or ryanair.
Sep 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM

You now can fly American, or, if you are willing to pay for discounted business class MaxJet or Eos, to Stanstead Airport. Several of the newer and low cost discount airlines fly from there to Corfu, Split, Zagreb, and, I think, Dubrovnik. Having connected in Europe only at CDg, LHR, and LGW, I was delighted with the ease of connections at Stanstead.
Sep 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM

A lot of the layover cities can be seasonal as well. For instance, Aer Lingus wasn't an option for us in November, as I believe at the time we booked our tickets last they were only flying DUB to DBV during the summer months. This was the same with some of the low fare carriers. Things may have changed now that Croatia is becoming more popular as a vacation destination, but its worthwhile to invest some time researching.

Tracy
Sep 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM

We're flying thru CDG to Zagreb in the spring using Delta FF miles on Air France. There'a reeeeally long layover in Paris but, it's free....we'll cope.
Sep 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I am flying Seattle to Amsterdam with a 2+ hr. layover then to Zagreb, 1 hr. layover and then to Dubrovnik. Last year I flew from Paris to Dubrovnik.
Sep 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I just called Skyservice Airlines and their service from Toronto to Zagreb was seasonal. There are no further flights this season, and they don't have a re-start date yet.

Has anyone heard any reviews of the quality and reliability of this service? I would definitely be interested in flying non-stop from North America to Croatia next season.
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM

A travel agency tried to start a nonstop charter from Chicago a couple of years ago, but it never got off the ground.

I love it when the literal and the figurative are equally applicable.

Sep 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM

marthag - Reliability of these small airlines are also suspect by nature. That's because they have only one or two aircrafts that can be on these longhaul routes, and a small mechanical problem will mean long delays.

If you're flying from the US, I don't see what's the appeal of a Canadian transfer, where you have to go through immigration both ways.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Good points, rkkwan. I guess I'm back to connecting through a major European city. Thanks for your very helpful posts on this subject.
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:38 AM

The airport in Dubrovnik is not big and I can't imagine getting bigger planes in and out there (eg, length of runway). So I seriously doubt that there will be direct flights from the US there (unless they lengthen the runway).

We flew through Vienna and it was very easy.