Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my camera's memory card fail at Eiffel Tower?

Feb 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
mde
Original Poster

I hope this is not a stupid question. I just read that electromagnetic waves including those from cellphones can cause memory card failure. Since the Eiffel Tower is used as a radio transmitter, is there a chance that I'll lose photos from my camera if I go up the Tower?
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM

We walked up to the first level last year and the memory card survived just fine!
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Never happened with the many photos I have taken, both from beneath and from the first level.
May 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Was at the top of the Eiffel in late Feb early Mar, both digital cameras worked fine and yes both had memory cards.
May 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM

If it is true the operative word is "can" rather than "absolutely will."
May 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I took a group of 10 teenagers to the top of the tower. Not one of them ever had a problem with their memory cards. I think this is one of those things that you don't really need to worry about.
May 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM

I've heard of this, though it's never happened to us. Could be the camera or card.

If you're worried about it, take an extra, empty, card with you and insert it before going to the Tour Eiffel. Leave your other card(s) in your hotel room or apartment.

Last time we were there (September) everyone with digital cameras was taking photos and reviewing them and no one "lost" any photos.
May 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM

In the radio world (where I work), vertical separation from the transmitters is the best isolation, even better than horizontal ( on a per foot basis). So...the fact that you are standing well below the transmitters (and almost directly below) means you and your camera will not suffer any effects...just like at the Sears tower, at a condo building with cellular site on roof (very common), etc..