Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will I need a translator in Eastern Portugal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading on my first "buying trip' to Portugal for my ceramics import shop (www.ceramicsofeurope.com). I started my business a few years ago with a buying trip to Deruta in Italy. For Italy I hired a translator to help me do business, but found that the Italians in Deruta do so much business with the U.S. that I could have gotten along fine by myself.

Is Portugal the same, or would a translator be a necessity? I'm most likely going to be looking for connections in the Evora/Elvas region of the country.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM

Do you know any other languages apart from English? Many Portuguese people know some Spanish or French.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm a bad American. I took years of Spanish in high school to little avail.

I did try to learn a bit of Italian before my visit there - but don't have the time to dedicate to Portuguese as my trip is set for the second half of April.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM

The spot you are looking for is Sao Bento do Corval, near Reguengos and Monsaraz, a village with a few hundred of inhabitants and a douzen of family run factories. The alternative spot is Redondo.
While there, indulge youself with the Reguengos' (or Redondo or Borba) world class red wines.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
rex

<<I'm a bad American.>>

<<don't have the time to dedicate to Portuguese as my trip is set for the second half of April.>>

I shouldn't be so scathing, but I say that these two sentences go together, "fer sure!"

Assuming you mean April 15 or after... you have fifty days. Even with a fairly modest effort, you could learn 500 words. Today would be a good day to start.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM

I have just returned from a month in Spain/Portugal.

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful the Portuguese people are. Also, it is mandatory that the children choose a 2nd language to begin learning with the 1st grade. Most of them want english,and the parents are also speaking english!! I found this out in a shop in Evora when I asked about finding so much englsh being spoken.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

Agree, the PT children study English and French and very few speak (or are willing to speak) Spanish.
M
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:14 PM

However wonderful the local people are (and they are), and however useful it most certainly is to acquire a few basic words of Portuguese, don't some fundamental principles apply?

1. You will not, even spending 12 hours a day with a language tutor, get yourself to a level of skill to enable you to negotiate in Portuguese without spending time in the country.
2. If you rely on a vendor's English skills (and practically no B2B business in Portugal sells only on the domestic market, and England, not Spain or France, is the traditional trading partner - so reasonable English is highly probable), you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.
3. You should never underestimate the ability of a badly-taught foreigner to make serious mistakes in English. And until recently, English teaching in Portugal was poor for most people, in spite of the country's traditional Anglo-centrism.
4. Unless you're fluent in a foreign language, or negotiating over deals so trivial they're not worth crossing an ocean for, it's always wisest to have a translator you control. I never, anywhere, negotiate with a vendor's interpreter - even in languages I think I'm modestly fluent in - unless there's a strong established relationship. And the lower the local wage (and in Western Europe they don't come lower than Portugal), the cheaper the interpreter.
5. All of which said, you'll have a more complaisant vendor, and a better time in Portugal, if you can get beyond "obregado".

Learn Portuguese: but for the first few trips, hire an interpreter.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM

Only if you are going to negotiate new treaties and trade policies with the Portgal government on behalf of the United States.

Larry J