Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will I have trouble leaving Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:51 PM
the turnip

I just realized that we fly out Amsterdam on Monday April 30th. I have read here on the forum that public transportation is shut down that day. Is there any truth to this? If so how does one get to the airport? <BR> <BR>Many thanks for your suggestions. Cheers, the turnip

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Maggie

We faced the exact same dilemma last year. Yes, transportation does shut down--earlier in some more central section. We made a lot of inquiries and decided the KLM shuttle bus was our best bet. We were told it would run til 10AM ( I think). We were quite the sight running ( as well as one can run pulling the inevitable suitcase on wheels) from one supposed stop to another and getting different info every time we asked. Eventually we did locate it, and of course it's route took it right by the first place we had waited and had been told it would not be able to get to. <BR> <BR>Bottom line-----this is a real holiday and the city does shut down like I could never imagine happening in other places. You should begn asking about your "escape" as soon as you arrive so you know what your plan is. We left the city probably 4 hours sooner than we would have otherwise but eveyone told us if we didn't go then, we'd be stuck. Part of me thought staying one more night (if we had ever been able to get reservations) would have been a lot easier. Amsterdam is great, have fun. <BR> <BR>PS---wear orange on Queen's Day--everyone else does!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Sjoerd

It depends on where you leave from. If you are in the downtown area and have to leave after 9 AM and before 9 PM, expect huge crowds. There are no taxis nor trams or buses available in the downtown area during that day. Trains from Centraal Station to Schiphol run normally, but the crowds at Centraal Station are incredibly big. If you have a morning flight, get a taxi before 9 AM and you should be fine. Ask your hotel for details.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:27 AM
the turnip

Ok, so now I'm concerned. We had hoped to stay in Haarlem the night before we left for our 10:15 am flight home. There are direct bussed that normally run to and from Haarlem to the airport. Anyone know if these will be still running assuming I leave early enough. <BR> <BR>Many thanks for all your kind help.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Sjoerd

Buses from Haarlem to Schiphol should run normally, or you can take the train from Haarlem via Amsterdam Sloterdijk to Schiphol. Remember that Queen's Day is a public holiday so public transport is on a Sunday schedule. Still, you shouldn't have a problem reaching Schiphol for a 10 AM flight.