Will I be cold in London in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked the forecast again and again for our trip to London this week. Daytime 75, nighttime 60 degrees F.

Nevertheless, I am worried I will be cold. I own a long-sleeved turtleneck cotton/spandex shirt and a long-sleeved sweater. They are sitting next to the suitcase. If I try to bring them, they will put a strain on my first-ever attempt to take a 2-week trip without checking any baggage.

So how about it? Is there any need for long-sleeved stuff in London in August?

If I don't take these two items, I will have only a rain jacket and/or a thin-sweatshirtish zip-up cardigan thing to cover my arms. Everything else I am bringing is short-sleeved.

Cindy -- still suffering Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from when she didn't pack enough warm stuff for San Francisco last August and had to make an expensive emergency trip to Old Navy for herself and the kids and then frump around town in a man's hooded sweatshirt
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:35 AM

Cindy, I feel your pain. We went to England one August and the pictures show me in the same jacket the entire trip. BUT when we got to London it was a record heat wave and that was worse. No air-con in the B & B. San Francisco? You could freeze in July. I have bought more ugly sweatshirts around the world, I swear. So jam an extra sweater into that carry-on! Better safe, I say.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:44 AM
nbujic

we just got back from London The weather was a total mix: cool (long sleeves and cotton sweater) ,and some sunny and warm periods. As we were leaving the forecast indicated a warmer trend.
I think you'll be fine as long as you have one or two items with long sleeves.

Whatever you do , try for carry on only; print your boarding pass ( if your air-line allows it).
Much better way to travel

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:30 AM

Depends what you're used to - if you come from Texas and are used to 100 degrees days then yes you may get cold and will need a light sweater. If you're a native Londoner though this is our first taste of summer 75 degrees each day for 10 days or so and a welcome change!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Yup, we aren't checking any bags. As I type this, the daughters are *howling* about how they can't do it and how we must check a bag.

I plan to hold firm.

Cindy -- sneaking all manner of items into her son's bag because he's 10 so what does he care?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM

Too many people now are used to putting the heating on as soon as the sun goes in and putting the air conditioning on when the sun comes out again. No wonder normal temperatures make them uncomfortable.

Resistance to temperature is like a muscles. Endure cold/heat and you find you can stand it far better than those who live in an artificial environment.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:20 AM
twk

As a Texas who visited London in June, I'll give you my perspective.

We were in London for a week before heading to Scotland, so we were prepared for a range of temperatures. During our stay in London, the high temperatures ranged from the upper 60s to the upper 70s. Despite having some long sleeve shirts, I wore short sleeves the whole time, and dispensed with the rain coat, too (although if we'd been anticipating a downpour, I would have carried it). My impression is that it generally feels a little warmer in central London than the official temperature because of the heat island effect.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi C,

>I will have only a rain jacket and/or a thin-sweatshirtish zip-up cardigan thing to cover my arms. <

Wear the cardigan under the rain jacket.

Bring an umbrella.

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM

Invest in some silk underwear. You'll never be cold and it weighs less than an ounce.