Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will have 5 hrs in Copenhagen - What to do...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Peter

Will have 5 hrs in Copenhagen, anyone knows if I can book a quick City excursion from the Airport? How far is the Airport from major attraction? FYI 5 hrs is between connecting planes. Any info suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Bill Irving

We flew out of Copenhagen a few years back. It was a very early flight, so we took a cab from our hotel, near the train station, to the airport. If I recall correctly, it took us about 25 - 30 minutes, & this was before rush hour. There was absolutely no traffic. As long as your flights are on time, & no trouble with traffic, you might have 2 - 3 hrs. free time at most. If you feel secure that would be enough time to do something, maybe somebody will have an idea for a tour. Our hotel was about a 15 - 20 minute walk from the pedestrian area &/or Nyhaven where you could catch a boat tour, which lasts a couple of hours, around the waterways.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Boots

Peter, there is an information office at the airport that can tell you whether there are tours from there or not. A train leaves from the airport to the Central Railway Station about every fifteen minutes and is a fifteen-minute ride or less--faster than a taxi or the bus. The Railway station is four or five blocks from the City Hall Square which I consider the center of Copenhagen. You can find tour buses between the City Hall Square and the Palace Hotel. A tourist bureau lies between the railway station and the City Hall. The canal tours are shorter in length than the bus tours. If you don't have time for either, you may want to go down the walking street. Have a good time in one of my favorite cities. Boots <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 07:48 PM
lola

You can always stroll through Tivoli Gardens and the waterside warehouse area. A couple of hours or more would be enough for a taste of this liveable city.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Peter

Thank You all for the info. Looks like safest would be the train to town and then just walk the city. Once again thanks.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 11:05 AM
anna

Do one of three things when you get to the city center. Stroll down the Stroget, the picturesque pedestrian shopping street that runs through two very historic old squares, and if you have time, I believe you can stroll from there right over to the Nyhavn harbor area, also very picturesque. (I would have to look at a map to be sure). Or, If it is between May and September, I would spend two hours at Tivoli. Those would be the best two or three walks to enjoy Copenhagen in two hours. Check the train schedules and watch your time though. I would not try to cut things too close if it involves an international flight.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Peter

Thank You Anna. Great suggestions...