Will a Rome Taxi from FCO take 5 people?

Nov 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Will a Rome Taxi from FCO take 5 people?

Trying to finalize details for our family trip to Rome next month. My goal is to pack as lightly as possible, but we have 5 people (2 adults, 2 teens, and a younger child) and will have (hopefully only) 3 suitcases, a carryon, and a couple of daypacks. I initially reserved a pickup through our hotel for 50E, but they have suggested with our number that we get a minivan pickup for 85E -- seems a bit steep. It looks as if a Rome Taxi from Fumicino operates on a fixed rate of 40E. But the airport website says that only 4 passengers are allowed (at least that's how I read it). Does anyone know if we show up with 5 and our luggage if we will be able to take a Rome Taxi into town (Aventine area)? Is there a significant surcharge? I've had really bad experiences taking taxis from both FCO and Ciampino in days past in terms of getting royally ripped off, so a bit squeamish here.
Nov 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM

There are taxis that can hold 5 people, but you can book Rome Shuttle Limousine for 50€ for 5 people. The airport website used to state that the 40€ fee (4 people including luggage) was for official city of Rome taxis and that city of Fiumicino taxis were 60€. That is no longer listed on the website. Rome has applied for an increase in the 40€ set fee. It is in the process of being approved, but no clue when it will go into effect.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php
Nov 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM

A regular taxi won't hold 5 people. Luggage for 5 will be hard to fit in the boot/trunk. The rate from the hotel for the minivan is about right, and will definitely accommodate you all. It's much bigger and the fee reflects that. Otherwise, you can take two taxis from the airport.

You can find car services online that will do airport transfers. Or use the recommendation from your hotel. It's nice not to have to hassle with standing in a taxi line. A car service that's been arranged will be waiting for you at the departure gate and accompany you to the car. It's a nice service, especially if you are arriving on a transcontinental flight.

And it is true that sometimes surcharges are added on to the fare, and such surcharges are not always communicated upfront, adding unneeded stress. Who likes arriving somewhere feeling like they might be getting ripped off. I haven't taken a public taxi from the airport in a long time, due to traveling with kids, but here is a site that provides a bit more info:
http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/f...rport_taxi.htm

I suggest letting the hotel book the car service for you so you can all travel together and have a stress-free arrival.
Nov 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! These are very helpful replies.
Nov 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM

>>>> I suggest letting the hotel book the car service for you so you can all travel together and have a stress-free arrival.<<<<

Why use the hotel booking and overpay by 35€? There are many postive reviews for Rome Shuttle Limousine on this forum (just use the search function to find them).

The info on the rometoolkit for car services isn't very accurate as you can book limo services much cheaper than listed on that website. Taxi charges are spelled out on the city of Rome's website.

http://www.comune.roma.it/was/reposi...ompleto_01.pdf

http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/po..._the_airports/
Nov 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Not to be totally jumping in to answer a question that you didn't ask, but I guess I am. 3 suitcases, 1 carryon and a couple of daybags for 5 people (even if one is small) seems like not a lot. If your 3 suitcases are on the bigger side, you might want to reconsider, and take a great number of smaller bags that might be easier to move around. I.e., my DD, DS and I each take a 21-inch bag (DH takes a 24-inch bag because he is incapable of being an efficient packer), plus 3 of us take some sort of day bag (though I'm the only one carrying mine around daily; the kids have their books, Nintendo, etc. in theirs).
Nov 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Lexma90, I haven't yet grappled with the packing issue yet, but my goal is to take 3 medium-sized suitcases and one, maybe two carryons. The teens will probably each have their own daypack as well. I am trying not to even take a purse. I've been toying with buying a Scottevest travel jacket, but they seem quite pricey. I'd pack an empty duffle bag to bring our purchased treasures home in. We only have one medium suitcase (not sure the dimensions), so I'm trying to borrow a couple. All of our other suitcases are huge. Packing will be tricky to be sure, since the weather could be sunny and mild, or quite cold and rainy -- most likely a bit of both. As I'm writing this, I think I should find a 4th small/med size one and not bring a second carryon which might be too small to be worth it. The overall goal is to be able to handle the luggage relatively easily. Any other helpful hints on packing light would be most welcome!

Search this Thread