Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will a lot of places in Italy be closed on Nov. 1?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Eddie

Nov 1st is a Religious Holiday - All Saints Day. Does anyone know if stores etc will be closed?

Thanks,
Eddie

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
ttt

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Teresa

That's one thing I would also like to know. I'll be in Rome that day. I think stores are closed but don't know if museums and monuments are opened.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 03:32 PM
figaro

I will also be in Rome on 11/1. I learned (not through ths forum) that because it is a religious national holiday, religious museums will not be open - don't plan on viewing the Sistene chapel on 11/1. I don't know about stores.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:36 PM
ttt

top it

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Alice Twain

Most likely shops will be closed while museums will be open. Monuments... Well, they can't close down, they are usually in the open air to see. Remember that on holidays also lots of Itlaians ar oh holiday, therefore touristic structures such as museums etc. are open because these are the days when they earn more.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:56 AM
stanberys2

We've been in Italy twice in late October and early November and don't remember anything being closed because of a holiday.

You have to watch the particular postings for each place, though. Some things are open only certain days of the week - and not especially the days you'd expect.

On one trip, the colliseum was closed one Sunday each month - the day we took the city tour. Another time, the Sistine chapel was closed and we rearranged our schedule.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:18 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:11 PM
Steph

I'll be in Milan on Nov. 2 (All Saint"s Day or Soul's Day) and e-mailed the hotel we're staying at. They said that the stores will be open on Sat. Nov. 2. Have good trip.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:30 PM
jl

We were in Italy last year and took the train from Florence to Venice on All Saints Day, which is supposed to be a national holiday. It looked to me like most if not all retail stores and restaurants in both cities were open. Couldn't tell you about museums and churches (other than Orsanmichele in Florence, which was open to the public, but undergoing massive interior rennovations at the time). The train was packed. We were able to get seats in first class, but had to settle for the smoking section.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Tess

I've been in Italy during first couple days of November and don't recall these religious holidays having a major impact.