Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wifi in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wifi-in-greece-777149/)

CherylNBob Apr 5th, 2009 06:03 AM

Wifi in Greece

We picked up a small laptop to keep tabs on the kids through email. We're going to be in Mykonos, Santorini, Athens and Nafplio. Has anyone had experiences with using their own laptops and hooking up to wifi zones in any of these places? Is there such a thing in Greece as a wifi zone?

I know there are internet cafes throughout Athens, so we can use them while there. But what about the other places?

Is it worth the luggage space and weight to even take the laptop?

Thanks!

Bob

Heimdall Apr 5th, 2009 08:59 AM

It's hit and miss whether your hotel will have wifi - more likely it will have a computer you can use to check your emails. The larger islands will have internet cafes with wifi, and I would be surprised if you can't find somewhere on Mykonos and Santorini. There are also lots of cafes and travel agents that will let customers use their public computer, so if all you want to do is check emails, your own laptop won't be necessary.

I've never brought my laptop to Greece before, but this year have a new 9" netbook. It's small enough to tuck into my daypack, and the charger is very light, so will give it a try. You will be in Greece before me, though, so how about giving us some feedback after your trip? :-)

ParisAmsterdam Apr 5th, 2009 09:19 AM

I was in Athens last May and found about 6 wifi networks from my hotel room near the Plaka. 2 were open. ;^)

There is free WIFI still available in Syntagma Square... I just read a post from someone who was online with it today. There are a couple of cafes there so you can have a frappe and do email quite comfortably.

In Marathon last May my hotel didn't have internet but by using a Forthnet card (available from any little tobacco kiosk) I had a good WIFI connection from the hotel next door. I'm sorry I don't remember how much it cost but the cards struck me as being reasonable at the time.

Here's a link to a site that gives you hotspot locations:

http://v4.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-greece-gr.htm

You shouldn't have a problem staying in touch.

Rob

CherylNBob Apr 29th, 2009 11:57 AM

Well, we're back! Had a lovely time in Greece. I recommend it to everyone. Our little laptop worked great. However, our fist stop, Rochari Hotel on Mykonos, did not have their wifi up yet when we were there 11-12 April. In their defense, we were the very first couple to stay with them this season, and they were still painting some of their buildings and balconies. They did, however, let us hook up to their line in the office. (And even reduced the agreed-to room rate from 90 euros to 60 because they were "not quite ready" for guests. Heck, a little paint a the wifi is nothing, so WOW what a generous gesture! Thanks, Stavroula!)

We did not try any of the in-town wifi hotspots in Mykonos, but we were told by the hotel staff that they were plentiful.

No problem using the wifi on Santorini. Our hotel has an agreement with the Mylos Cafe (Firostefani) upstairs, which doubles as an internet cafe, so if you are staying at the Mill Houses hotel your WIFI is completely free; you'll just need a user id and password from the Mylos Cafe and you can surf the web, eat a wonderful meal, and enjoy and amazing view of the volcano for as long as you like.

In Athens, at the Athens Gate, across from the Temple of Olympian Zeus, we still got WIFI, but had to pay 5 euros for 90 minutes. We did not try anywhere else in Athens.

In Naflio, at Hotel Amalia, PCs are available near the lobby, for 2 euros per 5 minutes. Did not try anywhere else on the Peloponnese.

Sorry I don't have any information for people regarding using wifi outside our hotels, but at least you can see that at our hotels you can get internet service without any problem.

CherylNBob Apr 29th, 2009 12:00 PM

Uh, make that "Nafplio," or even "Nafplion" or "Nauplio," but certainly NOT "Naflio."