Wife Wants to See the Matterhorn

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 07:04 AM
bo_jack

Wife Wants to See the Matterhorn

We will be flying into Munich May 16 and departing May 31. May 25 through May 29 we will be at Wolfgangsee in Austria; other wise, our itinerary is open. We will be driving. We have traveled in this part of Europe before and have no specific plans except that my wife would like to see the Matterhorn. Neither of us care particularly about spending the night in Zermatt; however, if we need to, we will. Any recommendations for a day trip to "see the Matterhorn"? Recommendations for lodging and other interesting sights in this part of Switzerland?

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 09:15 AM
Cheryl Z.

I don't think you necessarily have to stay in Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. But to see it via a day trip to Zermatt, you'd park your car in Tasche, take the train into Zermatt, then you can take a train up to Gornergrat, come back down, and proceed back to Tasche. I think there are other modes of transportation to other sightseeing spots too, like trams from Zermatt for good view of the Matterhorn. It can be done in less than a day allowing you plenty of time to drive elsewhere for the night. I love Zermatt, no matter how touristy it gets, and if you decide to stay there overnight, I can recommend a hotel if you'd like.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 10:09 AM
Raleigh

Zermatt is great and the views of the Matterhorn are outstanding. My wife and I spend a week in Zermatt just taking long hikes all day - very relaxing. But even if you're not up for that, Zermatt is a fun little town.

I would highly recommend the Hotel Malva - ask for a room with a view - we could a lay on our bed and look at the Matterhorn. Great breakfast also included - it was about $95US when we went.

I can look up their number if you're interested. I'd also recommend taking the train to Gornergrat.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 01:46 PM
Marla

Sorry to interupt on your request Bo, but Cheryl, what hotel do you recommend in Zermatt? My husband and I will be there for 2 nights the first week of May and I'm having trouble finding places that are open and reasonable (100-125 US per night). Also, Raleigh, I emailed the Hotel Malva. We'll see what they say. Thanks!

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 03:38 PM
Cheryl Z.

We stayed at the Alex Schlosshotel Tenne this last July. It was part of a package deal so I don't know the rates. It's very quaint and "Swiss". I loved our room, tiny but had fireplace, little sitting area, small balconey with Matterhorn view. Had own bath - teeny but nice. Breakfast was included. It's in a good location, walking distance to train station. tel. # is 0ll-4l-27-967-l80l, fax is 0ll=4l-27-967-l803. Have a wonderful trip, Switzerland is my favorite.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 04:08 PM
Bob Brown

The Matterhorn is a wonderful sight to behold, but don't sell short the views of Monte Rosa and the glaciers from the Gornergrat (grat = ridge). We rode the train up to the Rodenboden station and then got out for a first hand view of the Matterhorn. Then we walked up to the end station on the Gornergrat with the glaciers in front and the Mattehorn to our right. With a telephoto lens you can get some great shots of the Matterhorn from the Rotenboden area, but be sure you have a UV filter on your camera. ASA 200 film might be too fast unless your camera has shutter speeds faster than 1/500. Depends on the snow cover at the time you are there and the angle of the sun.
And the gondola ride to the Klein Matterhorn gives some incredible views as well.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 04:42 PM
Michele

My mother having lived several years in the Zermatt area, had warned us that not only would the town itself be a little touristy but the view of the Matterhorn might be enshrouded with clouds. My husband found on the Net what turned out to be heaven on earth: the Riffelberg Hotel ( http://www.zermatt.ch/riffelberg/) We traveled only by train from Geneva, to Venice, Florence, and Rome (June 19 to July 4 last summer) and our overnight stay there while quite a detour was the BEST experience! Leaving the beautiful town of Zermatt and heading up the Gornergratt was a beautiful and relaxing ride. The hotel is perched on the edge of an alp and beyond that are rolling hills and....the Matterhorn. Our room was on the top floor and faced the mountain. Aside from the innkeepers, their Collie named Bela, some sheep, there were another 12 tourists who were in just as much awe as we were. The room rate included breakfast and dinner so it was not as expensive as we had thought. I was told not to miss sunrise and made a point of getting up early enough. I get goosebumps just remembering what I saw!!! AWESOME does not begin to describe the experience! So if you want to REALLY _see_ the Matterhorn, check out the website and make a reservation - you will _not_ be sorry! Enjoy!!!!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 02:57 PM
Lynne

The Matterhorn is frequently clouded over. My mother went to Zermatt 3 times before she actually got to see the Matterhorn. When I went (in July), it was partially clouded over throughout out the day. We stayed overnight in Tasche. The next morning, the view of the Matterhorn was beautiful on a bright blue sky without a single cloud. My recommendation would be to plan on staying overnight just in case of cloud cover. It would be a shame to travel so far and only see clouds. If it was clear on the first day, you could change your plans. Since you have a car, venture up one of the mt roads from Tasche. We did that, having no idea where the road went and saw the Matterhorn from a near private viewing place. Some of my best photos of the Matterhorn are from that mt. road. Good luck!