Wife tired of Spain, where next? Turkey?

Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife tired of Spain, where next? Turkey?

My wife wants to go somewhere else besides Spain next year.
She wants me to decide though, anyone care to throw out some choices?
I'm interested in Istanbul and Southern Turkey, but never been to Venice. We've been to London, Paris, Budapest, Prague, Geneva, Rome, Florence, Amalfi, Amsterdam and Morocco. Just thought I'd start with friends and colleagues on the Spain forum first. (Hey I just want to spend a week in Cadiz and a week in San Sebastian but she wants a change!)
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:53 AM

Venice is absolutely unique. A huge historical town, full of art. But a town.

If you want mediterranean climate, beaches, scenery and history, consider Greece, especially Peloponnes. It is breathtaking in all respects. And inexpensive.

Istanbul is one of the great cities with lots of history of sights. Southern Turkey is completely different (and pretty far away). There you find seaside resort hotels at fantastic beaches for people who like swimming and sun-bathing, but in the hinterland there are enough archeological sites.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:58 AM

Turkey is a wonderful country currently beset by many problems. There is a fellow named Otehrchelebi who lives in Istanbul but knows the entire country and is very generous with his time and expertise.

The highlights of our three weeks there were Istanbul and Cappadocia.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:01 PM

Well....Venice and one of the lakes? What about Athens and onto the islands? we did a trip Istanbul, Naxos and Athens - I'm hoping to repeat the whole trip!

For a two week trip, IMO you need more than Venice and you have already done other parts of Italy. Maybe Venice and Budapest....so many options!
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:02 PM

We did a three week trip to Turkey, going to Istanbul, flying to Izmir and then driving to Cappdocia, and then flying back to Istanbul. You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.

Sicily is another possibility. I also wrote a trip report which might interest you--just skip the medical adventure.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:04 PM

Oh sorry, did not note you had already done Budapest. Another thought - southern France?

When we travel independently, we use trains - for that reason, going beyond Istanbul was intimidating to me but I know many have done Istanbul and beyond in Turkey as DIYs.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM

What no Greece?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:15 PM

Russia?
I visited
SP and Moscow in July and found both to be great cities..
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:23 PM

Why not Capadocia, Istambul and Venice? Two weeks are enough. I can think about tree days in Capadocia, five in Istanbul,no less than three in Venice, plus time for going from one place to the other, and you have two weeks, if needed, you can add Pammukale in Turkey or a day trip from Venice.

Other suggestion: Venice, Vienna, Prague.....add Dresden or Berlin if you like.

And of course, if you don't like going so much to the east, a trip covering Lyon, Avignon, Nice and the Côte D'Azur would be really good.

Please! Let us know you choice!
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:48 PM

Why not compromise and go to Cadiz for a week and then on to Portugal ?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:52 PM

or maybe North, Scandinavia or Baltic States.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 06:08 PM
kja

What are your interests? What are the things you've enjoyed in the places you have visited? What are the things that make your wife want to forego Spain this time?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 06:21 PM

How about Istanbul then Turkey and the Aegean Coast. Some lovely beaches, warm weather and one of the safest parts of Turkey.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:57 PM

Croatia is amazing!
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 08:07 AM

I've enjoyed the Mosel area and part of the Rhein for picturesque, well priced, high quality everything more than once. Great fun area. Ryanair's Frankfurt Hahn airport a stone throw from the Mosel. I overnight in nearby village with free airport pick up. chef's house and rooms. very simple, clean and delicious! Then i get my rental car next day ( when flight arrives in p.m.)

If you go do not miss Burg Eltz.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the two cents. My wife wants to go somewhere we've never been before. We like historical sites,unforgettable places like the Alhambra, Machu Pichu, Pompeii,etc., great food, music and culture. Would like to show our 6 year old something significant. I like all the ideas, Greece, Cappadocia, I love Cadiz/Portugal Bedar!
I forgot about Croatia. Thanks for getting me started on this y'all!
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Michael that's an incredible trip report, thanks.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 02:21 PM
kja

With those interests, Turkey should prove a great choice. You might find some useful information in my trip report. And I agree with Michael that Sicily would be another great option.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Egbert, if your wife wants to go somewhere different, why not get her to do some research and find out where she does want to go?
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus and Cappadocia. Spend all your time there.
Each is completely unique.
Ephesus is one of the great archeological sites, like Pompeii, but very different and beautiful.
Cappadocia is an amazing geological landscape. Include a hot air balloon flight for a complete once in a life time experience.
Istanbul is an unusual cultural experience of sights and sounds and fabulous food, along with great architectural treasures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -