Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wife alone in Prague while Husband attends to Business for 3 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wife-alone-in-prague-while-husband-attends-to-business-for-3-days-349969/)

marcellaruella Aug 20th, 2003 10:29 AM

Wife alone in Prague while Husband attends to Business for 3 days

I'm going to be venturing out on my own each day while my husband attends a conference in Prague. I won't have a car and only speak english. I'd like to plan some activities other than shopping (which I do too much of anyway). Any safe, easy to get to destinations near Prague?

ira Aug 20th, 2003 10:36 AM

Hi,

Will you have seen all of Prague in less than three days?

One place is the former concentration camp at Tereizen (sp?).

PS, if I were your husband I would be concerned about a beautiful woman like you being out of my sight in Prague. :)

ASCarverIII Aug 20th, 2003 10:41 AM

Prauge is a wonderful, safe city to explore on your own. Much of the old town is walkable, and there is a good tram system and a subway. English is much more widely spoken here than in many places in Europe, IMO. You will have a great time.

You should read the Fodor's destination guides on this site, or get their book. You can also arrange for a walking tour of the old town, we did it over two days to give us time to spend an morning at the Castle, etc. There are several good art museums as well.

What time of year are you going and what hotel will you be at?

marcellaruella Aug 20th, 2003 11:07 AM

Ira: You are too kind! We'll actually be in Prague for 5 days, but on three I'll be flying solo.

AS: We're visiting the first week of October, after spending the weekend in Stuttgart or Munich. I know he wants to see the castle too - but I hadn't considered going back with a tour guide (he has no patience for guided tours).

The hotel is arranged by (and paid for by) the company I've not received the reservation package yet.

wemr Aug 20th, 2003 11:18 AM

Ira, Are you going to catch the next plane to Prague? Watch out for that husband. Its a conference for men who want to get rid of guys that try to pick up their woman. LOL

Christina Aug 20th, 2003 08:02 PM

There is plenty to do in Prague itself for a couple days, if you want. Some excellent museums--the Alfons Mucha for Art Nouveau, St Agnes convent for Medieval art and a more modern Czech museum across the river in Karlin which has wonderful impressionist works, as well as the Loreto Palace up near the main castle and the City of Prague museum for history. Those are probably my highlights, but that doesn't even include the National Gallery or Bertramka (Mozart's residence, there are some of this artifacts in there), and the synagogues and cemetery of the Jewish Museum collective. In addition, there are several beautiful churches. All of these should be in guidebooks.

If you do want to get out of the city, I can highly recommend the bus day trips by Prague Sightseeing Tours which leave from near the Namesti Republicky metro stop. These will be easy and convenient and you'll see a lot and likely be with a small congenial group. The guide I had was outstanding and multi-lingual. Here is their web site which you can peruse for interests:
http://www.pstours.cz/

I think the Kutna Hora, Karlovy Vary, Telc and Cesky Krumlov tours might be top consideration, although the latter two won't get you back until late. Not that late, though, maybe 6 pm or so.

Cicerone Aug 21st, 2003 06:38 AM

October looks to be cool in Prague, average high about 55 F (Take a look at weatherbas.com), so dress in layers.

You might want to find out what you will be seeing on your 2 days of group tours so you don't repeat yourself too much. You might also want to skip the group tour and go on your own; esp if the group tour is by bus. As most of the old town, new town, etc are traffic-free, you would get a lot more out of touring yourself on foot or with a guide. Also, with organized tours you seem to waste a lot of time at meals or at the mandatory shopping stops; find out as much as you can about who is organizing and giving the group events.

Talk a guided walking tour of the Castle and then YOU can give the tour to your husband! We had tried to book with Martina Doskova ([email protected]), who was on vacation. We used a friend of hers, who was excellent, but she is not giving tours regularly anymore, she just fills in for Martina. Martina, however comes highly recommend on this site, run a search. We were charged a very reasonable Euro 10 an hour, and we did a 3-hour tour of the Castle and a 3-hour tour of the old town. You can add more like new town and the jewish quarter. You can also stay on and see other parts of the Castle by yourself, as the tour only really can do the highlights.

Prague is a great place for a music lover, as there are concerts virtually every night of every type at different venues, including various churches. We went to a wonderful performance of the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra with a pianist. One of the best of have ever been to, and we paid US$6 for the seats. A useful website is visitprague.cz. Click on the American or UK flag for English, then go to Culture, then choose either Theatre & Musicals, or Concerts, Operas, Ballets. A list of venues will come up. If you click on the venues, a schedule for the month will come up. Also take a look at wahtsonwhen.com and search for "classical music" under Prague.

As mentioned above there is PLENTY to do in Prague in 3 days, in fact you will probably feel like you have not seen it all.