Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wieskirche near Füssen and Neuschwanstein

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Bob Brown

I am looking into ways to visit the Wieskirche and Neuschwanstein and Linderhof. I could rent a car in Munich and drive or take a tour. But, I do not know of a tour out of Munich (where I will be for several nights visiting friends) that takes one to the Wieskirche. Anybody got any suggestions?
Any comments?
I looked at a Gray Line tour that goes to Neuschwanstein, but it says nothing about anything else much, except shopping and lunch. After that Gray Line ripoff in Salzburg last year called Sound of Music, I am not inclined to go with Gray Line.
So any comments pro, con or indifferent are welcome.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 06:23 PM
jahoulih

Bob, EurAide does a tour that includes the Wieskirche, but only on Wednesdays in June and July. Do I recall correctly that your trip is in September? For what it's worth, here's the URL:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/euraide/day_ex25.htm

I don't know anything about the company, but their website has some useful information regarding rail passes and Rhine cruises.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 06:25 PM
ellen

I was there a couple of weeks ago - had rented a car and was glad I did. Besides the three places you mentioned, you could also visit Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald - both of which have nearby cable cars to local mountain peaks. Depends on how long you have. There's enough to see to make an overnight stay worth it.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Bob Brown

We will be there in September.
I had considered making an overnight trip out of it. But, one of our friends in Munich wants to go, too. The problem is that she has to be back at her job the following morning. I am sure we can make some kind of arrangement.
I don't like "canned" tours as a general rule because they never follow my schedule!! I don't need 3 hours of shopping in Füssen with the amount of time we will be in Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna, and Munich.

We will have a chance to drive to the Zugspitze and the surrounding area the following week from near Innsbruck. We have made arrangements to rent an apartment near Innsbruck for several days and that will give us a chance to do some more exploring.
Then on to the Salzburg area for more wandering about.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Gar

hi there,
if You are 2 (or more) persons rent a car. You can do Your own spend and, as You already said, havent to follow to long shoppingtours and toilettstops. Wieskirch is a little bit out of the normal routes, but there are a lot of buses coming aroung 12 pm, so it good to be gone at that time. If it is on Your route (perhaps on the way to Garmisch), take a look to Kloster Ettal. Nice stop for a beer...
have fun
Gar

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Cassie

My husband and I did this trip a few years ago. We rented a car in Munich and drove down to see the Neuschwanstein Castle along with the Wieskirche The roads were easy to travel and well-marked, even if you don't speak German. I would definitely opt for renting a car. This way you can have more flexibility and see some other quaint villages and scenery along the way and you won't be "hostage" to a tour bus!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:53 AM
st

We were in all the places you mentioned last month. We were based in Ruette and rented a car for our stay. The roads were easy to navigate and directions were no problem. We don't like the canned tours and their schedules either.

We visited Weiskirche around 4-5 p.m. and found it less crowded as the last tour busses were leaving just as we arrived. It's a beautiful church so you must visit. My suggestion: Visit Neuschwanstein/Howenschwangau early and make Weis your afternoon stop. We also stopped in Ettal and Oberammergau, but found Ober. a bit too touristy for our tastes.

Also, it is a VERY steep hike to Neuschwanstein. Take the bus up. Worth every DM (approx 4 DM)...won't take you all the way but close enough. We toured Howenschwangau and found it more interesting than Neuschwanstein. Just my opinion...

Also, Linderhof is very pretty and interesting. The grotto was a bit much. The drive along Plansee, if you go that way, was also very pretty.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Kurt

Steep hike to Neuschwanstein? C'mon. Unless you're in your 70's any healthy person can handle it. My 3 and 6 year olds did it without complaints, and we navigated through snow. I'd find a nice Gasthof our Zimmer Frei in or around Fussen. It makes a great base for exploring all the sights in the region.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:20 PM
joe

It is a steep climb to the castle,especially if it's hot.
Rent a car and hit both these sites on the same day.
We took my mother-in-law to the Wieskirche,she sat in the pew behind us as we viewed the altar.We heard sobbing and asked her what was wrong."I've just never seen anything this beautiful" she responded.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Bob Brown

Thanks for all the info. The steep hike is a consideration. There are two surgical knees involved here!
Not quite 70, but close.
Any road strategy for getting out of Munich??

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Bill

Shameless plug for my sons' boys choir:
They'll be singing in Weiskirche on Thursday, July 5 at around noon. (That's where my wife and I join up with the choir tour for a couple day, before we go our separate ways.)

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 08:45 AM
ralf

Hi Bob,
leave München on the A 95 in direction to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, exit Sindelsdorf, then 472 direction Peiting/Kempten, near Peiting 17 direction Füssen, follow "Neuschwanstein".
The way back: 17 until "Steingaden" follow "Oberammergau"/"Wieskirche". Later on 23 to Oberammergau, after Oberammergau follow "Schloß Linderhof".
For the end of the day: Oberammergau or Kloster Ettal. Then further on to the A 95 and back to München.