Wien Westbahnhof or Sudbahnhof???

Aug 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Wien Westbahnhof or Sudbahnhof???

Is it better to stay close to the Westbahnhof or the Sudbahnhof on Vienna...which one is closer to attractions?? which one has more trains going to Prague which is my next destination from Vienna??
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Sudbahnhof is closer to the old city center but neither area IMO - West- or Sud-Bahnhofs are all that inspiring to me. Most if not all trains to Prague leave from the Sudbanhof - which is linked by S-Bahn underground trains to the Mitte station, smack in the heart of tourist Vienna.
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I agree with Pal that I wouldn't choose to stay near either of the stations. We took a train to Prague from the Sudbahnhof. One in our party had a backpack swiped there when it was briefly put down while looking at the announcement board, so like everywhere else, be alert. BTW, the bus is another option to Prague. We did Prague - Vienna by bus and it was fine. It took about 15 minutes longer than the train at 1/3 the price.
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM
yk

My understanding is Sudbahnhof area is not as good.

We recently stayed very near Westbahnhof at an apartment (5-min walk West of the station) and it was a very safe area. Very, very convenient to sightsee. U-bahn trains from Westbahnhof depart every 3 minutes during rush hour, every 5 minutes during the day, 7-8 minutes late at night. The trip into center of town (eg, St Stephen's) is just 7 minutes. Therefore, for us, it took no more than 15 minutes to get from our apt to heart of old town. I (solo female) came back to the apt by myself one night around 11:30pm via U-bahn and I felt very safe.

Trains to/from Budapest are @ Westbahnhof, as well as trains to/from Melk.
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM

The Westbahnhof area is IME very safe and all - but to me was not really inspiring - blah modern streets, etc. I'd stay there if the price was good and like yk says it's not far from many major attractions - i always walked - about 1.5 miles or so it seemed from the Ring, maybe less.
Aug 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
yk

Yes, I meant to say that if you're going to be in Vienna for at least several days, you should consider staying IN the center (ie, within the Ring), instead of near either train stations. The ambiance is much nicer within the Ring and you can rely on your 2 feet to walk to most attractions.

The reason we stayed near Westbahnhof was because the apt we found was very very reasonable, plus we needed to use Westbahnhof several times during our trip, so that was an added covenience.
Aug 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info!!!
Aug 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM

PS: if you are planning to buy a train ticket from Vienna to Prague, it is wayyyy cheaper to buy it in person at the train station or online before you leave (but not all countries allow us to purchase them online from the US). Fortunately, Austria's railway does!! And they are going at 19 Euro each way. I've been using Rail Europe to check out various travel prices and was shocked at how expensive it was, despite how 'cheap' train travel is supposed to be. For example, Rail Europe charges nearly $200, with fees plus shipping, for a $27 dollar sale ticket from Budapest to Prague (if purchased directly). Check out Austria's rail site at: http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp
Aug 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM

Much depend when you plan your trip in Vienna.

The Sudbahnhof currently has almost all train departures to Prague. Just a few from the Westbahnhof.
The Sudbahnhof renovations have now begun and most trains will be relocated from there from some time in December I think. Most trains originally terminating or departing from the sudbahnhof will use Vienna Meidling station that is less convenient.

The Sudbahnhof has easy access to the center of Vienna and thus many tourist sites via the streetcar D just outside the station that runs along the famous Ringstrasse for a considerable distance.
Or after a short walk to Sudtirolerplatz a short trip on the UBahn U-1 to the Opera stop and Stephansdom City center.

I would not recommend the S Bahn line to WienMitte/ Landstrasse . This route requires another transfer to UBahn U-3 or walk - with luggage less convenient.

Both the Westbahnhof and Sudbahnhof are about the same distance from major tourist sights like the Hofburg palace, Fine Arts Museum.
Actually the Wesftbahnhof a little more convenient using the easy and fast connection using the UBahn U-3.
10 minutes ride perhpas to very city center without walking .

That said, in my opinion and since both stations are convenient to public transport , I would look for a convenient hotel in the city center- inside the Ring - postal zone 1010 is an easy indicator of this location. I gree with yk advice
Much better for sightseeing, also much better choices of dining, cafes, and shopping.