Wien and Salzburg

Dec 25th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Juliana

Wien and Salzburg

I'm going to Wien 5 days before I take a group excursion. I'd like to get some advice or some site that I can find the bests places to go in Wien. And to Know how I can go to Salzburg and if it worths going there just to spend a day.
Thanks,

Dec 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Ben Haines

There's plenty to see in Vienna. You might look at the Time Out site http://www.timeout.com/vienna/sight/index.html
for details.

I shouldn't bother to include Salzburg. Vienna has enough.

Please write again after 15 January if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Dec 25th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Bob Brown

vienna is indeed a very interesting city to visit. The highpoints of my visits there are as follows:
the Kunsthistorische Museum (art museum)
Schoenbrunn Palace
the Hofburg
the Belvedere
the Volksoper

I like opera and I have attended 4 performances there and enjoyed all of them.
There are many good places to eat as well.
I have stayed in two hotels there. I liked the Carlton Opera. It is just south of the ring in at good location.
We enjoyed our stay. The house of music is interesting, but I thought more could have been done with it considering the composers the organizers have to work with.

I also liked Salzburg, and on that aspect I disffer from Ben.
We enjoyed Schloss Hellbrunn, particularly the squirting founntains,
the fortress on the mountain, the famous Festspielhaus, and the Marionette Theater.
The latter being fascinating.

Dec 26th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Bob

I would go back to Salzburg before I go back to Vienna, but this topic has been beat to death on this forum. If you have a chance to visit Salzburg, do so and let me know your opinion. I have been to Vienna 3 different times at two different stages of my life and still find no big love affair with that city. Nice, but not one to put on my "must return" list.

Now other posters can fire away! I love Vienna because..............

Dec 26th, 2001, 01:21 PM
mark

I just visited Vienna for the first time at the beginning of December - only for three days though. I focused on Secession / Jugendestil architecture. The Museum of Applied Arts has a great show about R.M. Schiendler - who was Viennese, worked with Adolf Loos and Frank Loyd Wright. Didn't get to do any concerts. But did have some incredible meals - if you're interested in splurging go to Korso, at the Hotel Bristol. Knopf has a city guide specifically for Vienna that I found to have very up to date information regarding bars, restaurants, etc. There's tons of "things" to do in Vienna - your post wasn't specific about what you are interested in doing / seeing. A great city to be alone in during the winter.

Dec 26th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Christina

Don't think anyone mentioned how to get to Salzburg -- it's an easy train trip from Vienna,but as I recall, it takes about 3 hrs one-way. It depends on the person, that is a lot of time to spend n a day trip (6 hrs travel), but if you can spend all afternoon there and return in the evening, it might be ok for a day trip if you have a particular interest in Salzburg. I don't recall that the scenery is anything special but it's not terrible. If you don't want to buy a guidebook which will tell you the things to see, I agree that www.timeout.com will give you the highlights to choose from.

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Jennifer

Juliana -

I love both Wien and Salzburg, but given your limited number of days I would stick just with Vienna. There is plenty to do there and one day is not enough time to see Salzburg. If you want to see both and get a taste for each city, I would do 3 days in Wien and 2 days in Salzburg. (I just spent 5 days in Wien and 4 days in Salzburg and could have stayed longer in both cities.)

Jan 30th, 2002, 11:39 AM
topper

topping

Jan 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
curt stepanek

I have not been to Wien. I did spend 4 days in Salzburg. It is a fabulous city to be a traveler in. We saw the only monthly performance of the Nusscracker at the famous Marionette theatre. It was facinating. Bob Brown said it best on the sites. Take in an evening concert at the fortress. You will gasp at the view on a clear night. Forget the Sound of Music tour. Our hotel keeper said of it, "This is not Salzburg!" Our four days was not enough.

Feb 17th, 2002, 10:48 AM
John

I've visited both and Salzburg wins my vote hands down. It's cleaner than Vienna and if you don't like big cities, its much preferrable. If you do want to visit Salzburg from Vienna, though, consider staying at least one night. the 3-4 hour, one-way train time takes a lot out of your day and, as indicated above, the scenery isn't that fantastic.

Feb 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I concur with others above. Salzburg does it for me--Vienna is just another big city with great music.

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:39 PM
ttt

topping