Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wicklow or Sligo/Donegal? Itinerary help... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wicklow-or-sligo-donegal-itinerary-help-173895/)

Betsy Aug 12th, 2001 01:29 PM

Wicklow or Sligo/Donegal? Itinerary help...

Hi again! Thanks to all those who have advised me in the past.... <BR> <BR>I came up with an itinerary which I was pretty happy with, although it's rather long, and I may try to cut something out. I've since been advised by a couple of other people that, instead of Sligo/Donegal, I explore County Wicklow, with Powerscourt Gardens, Glendalough, etc..... Any opinions? This is the itinerary: <BR> <BR> <BR>1) Rock of Cashel/Cashel - 1 or 2 days <BR>: (a) Stay at Legend's Townhouse <BR> <BR>: 2) Kilkenny: city, Castle, etc...1 or 2 days <BR>: (a) Stay in Kilkenny <BR> <BR>: 3) Cobh/Youghal/*Blarney ... 3 days <BR>: (a) Stay at Ballyvolane or <BR>: Ballymakeigh <BR> <BR>: 4) Kinsale/Old Head of Kinsale/*Blarney..3 days <BR>: (a) Stay in Kinsale <BR> <BR>: 5) Baltimore/Cape Clear/Sherkin Island...1 day <BR>: (a) Stay in Baltimore <BR> <BR>: 6) Kenmare/Lakes of Killarney ...2/3 days <BR>: (a) Stay in Kenmare (Shelburne?) <BR> <BR>: 7) Dingle/Dingle Peninsula/Blasket Islands/Slea Head ....4 days <BR>: (a) Stay in Dingle <BR> <BR>: 8) Cashel (Connemara)/Kylemore Abbey/Aran Islands(?) <BR>: (a) Cashel House Hotel? ....2 days <BR> <BR>: 9)*** Sligo/Yeats Country <BR>: (a) Temple House ...2 days <BR> <BR>: 10) County Donegal/Donegal Town...3/4 days <BR> <BR>Also, how many days would be enough (for now, at least) to see Kinsale and the surrounding area? I want to spend at least one full day at Ballymakeigh or Ballyvolane, so I gave myself 2 days to "daytrip. Is 3 days in Kinsale too much? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Betsy

Lee Aug 12th, 2001 02:03 PM

My vote goes for Donegal. I spent a week in the area last Sept and loved it....I want to go back. It is very rugged and beautiful. From Donegal town, head out to Killybegs and on to Slieve League. NOT to be missed!!! <BR>BTW, I stayed at Temple House and loved it. Wander around the grounds while you are there. <BR>Have fun. <BR>

[email protected] Aug 12th, 2001 03:39 PM

Betsy, <BR> <BR>My vote would also go for Sligo and Donegal as opposed to Wicklow (you will get plenty of mountains in Kerry similar to Wicklow). <BR> <BR>Donegal and Sligo has great beaches and landscape. <BR> <BR>However if you are a mountain person then Wicklow and let me know which you decide upon and I can recommend some places in Wicklow similar to Temple House. <BR> <BR>I persume that you have decided in favour of an independent tour as opposed to the Tauck tour, <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR>Cathy

Betsy Aug 12th, 2001 04:58 PM

Lee, I'm glad you had such a great time. I've read many, many posts from people who absolutely adore Donegal! <BR> <BR>Cathy, you must have the patience of a saint! Yes, I decided not to do the tour because, in essence, I really prefer to take charge of my own vacation, and because I think that is how I will best experience Ireland and her people. I've put out feelers with Brian Moore as to a car and driver, and how that would work, and the woman I spoke with was exceedingly friendly and helpful. When I posted about taking a tour, I have a feeling I was really trying to be talked into going on my own, and I'm a convert! <BR> <BR>It looks like it will be Donegal, then; thank goodness Ireland isn't any bigger. It's very hard leaving anything out. <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Betsy <BR>

Patti Suttle Aug 13th, 2001 09:46 AM

Betsy-we stayed at Legends Townhouse in late June and we loved it! We had their early dinner and it was absolutely fabulous-MIchael is a gourmet cook. Rosemary is a delight and its a lovely place. Wonderful views of The Rock of Cashel. I also recommend the Bru Boru show-located right behind Legends! Its a great show with Irish dancing and song. Its very resonable as well. <BR>We loved that when we got to Legends <BR>(and we were later than we had planned/wanted)we had dinner there and walked to the back to see the show-no driving around looking for a restaurant, etc. <BR>We were the group of 10 and we were an overwhelming group to arrive-late at that and Rosemary was wonderful. <BR>Highly recommend it! <BR>You'll love Ireland! <BR>Patti

Betsy Aug 13th, 2001 02:01 PM

Patty, thanks to your description of Legends, I am more eager than ever to stay there! Unfortunately, my trip isn't until next year, but anticipation is half the fun!

Ann Aug 14th, 2001 07:27 AM

Another vote for Donegal. Both areas are beautiful, but if forced to pick one, I go for Donegal. <BR> <BR>I've stayed in the Cashel House Hotel, and have sent friends there as well. Everyone absolutely loved it.

Betsy Aug 14th, 2001 02:02 PM

Thanks, Ann! <BR> <BR>Hopefully, after my trip, I can answer some questions instead of asking them all the time! <BR> <BR>betsy

Ann Aug 15th, 2001 11:03 AM

One more thing: I love Donegal, but there are a lot nicer towns and villages in the area than Donegal Town. Spent a New Year's Eve there once a few years ago, and am in no hurry to go back. This won't work if you're a real planner, but I like to drive around up there, and just stay in whatever town interests me at the time. There are some great spots on the water. I don't have specific suggestions right now. But others might.