Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why tuna fish? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-tuna-fish-589205/)

adeben Feb 8th, 2006 01:20 AM

Why tuna fish?

This may not be the correct branch for this question, but I'm sure some US friends can provide an answer to a mystery. It is summer in Australia, and today, on the coast near the Great Ocean Road where we live, the temperature was a pleasant 30oC.
My wife and I were enjoying Salade Nicoise, one of the ingredients of which is 'tuna'. We shared such a dish in Europe last July with a couple from the US, and they referred to this ingredient as 'tuna-fish'.
Is that the usual name in the USA? Is there some other sort of tuna that is not a fish?
I assume that folks in the USA do not refer to 'halibut-fish' or 'salmon-fish' etc. So why 'tuna-fish'? We are assuming that there must be a simple answer: it's just not immediately obvious to us.

lobo_mau Feb 8th, 2006 02:20 AM

Tunas are groups of college singers and guitar players in Spain. I guess the person who listed the ingredients of the Salade Niçoise wished to stress which tuna he/her was referring to

kappa Feb 8th, 2006 02:31 AM

There is even Tuna-girl.

http://tunagirl.blogspot.com/

lobo_mau Feb 8th, 2006 02:40 AM

Check what a Tuna looks like:

http://members.fortunecity.com/blabla5/

Davelw Feb 8th, 2006 02:46 AM

I don't know why they sometimes refer to "tuna" as "tuna fish" in the US. However, in my experience the added "fish" suffix is only applied when eating canned tuna on a sandwich. For example, "tuna fish sandwich." When dining out or purchasing from a grocery store, a piece of tuna is simply called "tuna". Seems odd to me that your friends used "tuna fish" for tuna in salade nicoise...

We do refer to dolphin fish as "dolphin fish" to differentiate it from dolphin the mammal, but that is the only other "fish" suffix I can think of un the US, and one that actually makes sense!

Dave

rex Feb 8th, 2006 02:53 AM

Not only was I raised to refer to tuna as &quot;tuna fish&quot;, it had the even more specific meaning of &quot;tuna salad&quot; in our home, especially in the expression &quot;tuna fish sandwich&quot;. My wife and I seem to have succeeeded in raising our kids to say &quot;can of tuna&quot; (not &quot;can of tuna fish&quot;) - - but they still will frequently refer to a tuna salad sandwich as a &quot;tuna fish sandwich&quot;. For what it's worth, they seemed to have learned (from their friends) a preference (at least some of the time) to eat a &quot;tuna melt&quot; (a sandwich, sometimes open-face, or on a bagel... of tuna with cheese melted on top, under the broiler - - does NOT contain tuna <i><u>salad</u></i>, typically).

But you're right, they don't refer to &quot;salmon-fish&quot;... of course, there is no other fish (canned or otherwise) that we routinely combine with mayonnaise, pickle, boiled egg, etc to make a &quot;salad&quot; (for sandwich purposes).

Of course, they woule never refer to a &quot;chicken salad sandwich&quot; as a &quot;chicken-bird sandwich&quot;, nor a &quot;ham salad sanwich&quot; as a &quot;ham-mammal sandwich&quot;... LOL!

(Final aside: all three of our daughters - - but especially our youngest - - seems to have acquired the preference for combining cottage cheese into tuna salad... it's okay, but still seems odd to me - - she typically does NOT want hardboiled egg, nor chopped pickle in hers; personally, I think that a little bit of chopped celerey and/or onion are good in there also).

Odd topic, to be discussing at breakfast time (here in the US)!

Best wishes,

Rex

J62 Feb 8th, 2006 02:54 AM

I know you can tune a piano, but can you really tuna fish?

Intrepid1 Feb 8th, 2006 02:59 AM

The use of the term &quot;tuna fish&quot; is common in the USA, especially when one is referring to ingredients of a sandwich as has been explained.
BUT (and there always seems to be one, doesn't there?) there are many people in the USA who would also describe said sandwich as a &quot;tuna sandwich&quot; rather than as a &quot;tuna fish sandwich.&quot;

It may be similar to why people who speak of the well-known religious saint and the keg-carrying dog known as Bernaaaaaard and yet living human beings with the same name are very commonly referred to as Berrrrrrrrnerd...so who knows?

I admit, this topic is far more interesting than trying to figure out how many posts can be placed on TripAdvisor in one 24-hour period before people here arbitarily decide they must be bogus.

RufusTFirefly Feb 8th, 2006 03:03 AM

In the warmer climes of the Americas, the edible fruits of certain cacti are called &quot;tuna.&quot; Perhaps the use of &quot;tuna fish&quot; originated among English-speakers in these areas to avoid confusion.

Or perhaps not.

nospam Feb 8th, 2006 03:54 AM

My husband thinks that it is so good, that you could eat a TUNA fish, just like that! Hence the term, tuna fish...

ira Feb 8th, 2006 04:14 AM

Hi A,

Before the advertisers changed it to Tuna Fish, it was called Horse Mackerel, and was considered a trash fish.

On the Chesapeake Bay, striped bass are known as Rock Fish.

There are also Blue Fish.

((I))

ira Feb 8th, 2006 04:15 AM

PS

Sword Fish

lobo_mau Feb 8th, 2006 04:18 AM

Cod fish

walkinaround Feb 8th, 2006 04:22 AM

i guess it's just one of those things. if i remember correctly, they do the same thing in germany as it is called &quot;thunfische&quot;.

J62 Feb 8th, 2006 04:28 AM

One Fish
Two Fish
Red Fish
Blue Fish

Intrepid1 Feb 8th, 2006 04:29 AM

Shad! Nobody ever calls this one &quot;Shad Fish&quot;

Mucky Feb 8th, 2006 04:32 AM

I have a stereo tuner, that isn't nice to eat..

;-)

Muck

massagediva Feb 8th, 2006 04:47 AM

When I was a kid,my mom also made &quot;tuna fish casserole.&quot;

Intrepid1 Feb 8th, 2006 05:02 AM

You mean &quot;tuna casserole&quot; or was that only during Lent?

oldie Feb 8th, 2006 05:36 AM

You could always call it &quot;tunny.