Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why the hell didn't you buy travel insurance? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-the-hell-didnt-you-buy-travel-insurance-197090/)

Disbelief Oct 19th, 2001 01:58 PM

Why the hell didn't you buy travel insurance?

Quit your whining! To all who have chosen to not take your trips and expect to withdraw from your commitments, too bad. It's your choice. To everyone else, WHY didn't you buy travel insurance? If you chose to save a few bucks, then you chose to accept the risk. Concerning flights on September 11th and the following week, special considerations would be great, but, not necessarily mandatory. <BR>THERE! Finally got THAT off my chest.

peter Oct 19th, 2001 03:02 PM

i think your reply is irrespossible. travel insurance does not cover the acts of god/war. even if you had the insurance it would do no good. also many people cannot have the necessary attitude for travel after a large diastere such as what we experienced. why peanilize them due to circumstances beyound their control ?? quit your whining- why dont you quit your theasds that are not worth a horse pucky

what Oct 19th, 2001 03:21 PM

Hey, disbelif, or whatever, gimme the addy of that stupid insurance Co. selling anti-terrorism insurance? And a "fear-of-flight" insurance. And do it fast, as on Sunday I'm off to Vegas on a pre-9/11-planned trip. With or without travel but with medical insurance... just in case!

hmmm Oct 19th, 2001 05:21 PM

I would be interested to know where Disbelief is shopping for his travel insurance, because with most of the offered travel insurance I have seen, acts of terrorism are not covered under the "We'll be glad to reschedule that for you" or the "Sure we will be happy to refund all of your money, (with a generous portion held back to line our pockets of course)." So if you know of someting that every other tourist in the world is missing, then please inform us all. Share your infinte knowledge. Well... I am waiting. Just like I thought. Another person opening there mouth to criticize others when they clearly have no knowledge of the subject on which they are speaking. While I am so happy for you that you "got that off your chest" I would ask that you spare the rest of us from your stupid, uninformed and most certainly unintelligent comments!

Al Godon Oct 19th, 2001 08:20 PM

I don't buy travel insurance because I don't need it. <BR>If I go in a crash, my wife is always with me. Chances are she goes too. <BR>My will disposes of my estate. <BR>So what the heck to I need travel insurance for?? <BR>What does it ensure me against?? <BR>It reminds me of the time I was flying from Dayton, Ohio, to Washington National on a Constellation. (A prop plane with a distinctive tail assembly that had three rudders.) About half way we noticed one of the engines was on fire. Most of the passengers were in a high state of panic. My boss, a guy named Joe (really) jumped up, stood in the aisle, and waved his travel insurance policy. <BR>Those of us who were not in a state of rigor mortis induced by fear thought it was funny. <BR>

fran Oct 19th, 2001 08:26 PM

Okay, I don't want to wade into a mud-slinging fest here, but there is definitely travel insurance that covers terrorism related travel problems/cancellations, even "fear of flying" cancellations. Access America, Travel Guard, Travel Insured and perhaps others have even waived the terrorism exclusion on some of their policies where it might not have been covered in relation to events surrounding 9/11. (No, I'm not a travel agent but I know one.) I'm guessing this coverage might require a supplement to the basic policies, but it is available and you might do a search for some details before you go off on Disbelief like he/she is crazy. I can only assume that costs for this will rise dramatically just as the costs of property and real estate insurance are bound to rise now that the reality of massive payouts are on the table (this has been covered widely in the business press). Don't mean to take sides here, but do like to tidy up the facts.

cj Oct 19th, 2001 08:55 PM

This is truely a Disbelief thread. My husband and I canceled out trip to Ireland and Italy for this weekend. We are our several thousand dollars. We did buy insurance and it does not cover acts of God, such as war, freight etc. It covered - plane crashes and sickness before you board your plane. It did not cover our lodging, cars, meal and other transportation We had the whole trip planned and paid for it in advance and after much pondering it was OUR decision NOT to travel at this time. We were going with friends and as in other posts - we are not only out all of our money, but our friends. After dialoging with our Fodor friends we realized that it was a contract we signed and say ta-ta to the money but yes-yes to our sanity. We are even out the insurance money that we paid just in case we went down with the plane. As for Fran, please give us your friends name and I promise to book every trip with him/her. We want to reshedule our Italy plans and make amends with our frinds.

Patrick Oct 20th, 2001 07:25 AM

I travel a lot and have never bought travel insurance. If I counted up how much I would have spent (and therefore saved) over the last ten years or so if I had bought insurance, I could now use that money for a one month trip around the world. I call this self-insurance. If someday I have to cancel a trip and it costs me several thousand dollars, I will still be money ahead from not buying insurance on all the other trips.

grasshopper Oct 20th, 2001 07:41 AM

CJ, <BR> <BR>After reading your remarks on your previous thread and watching you come to the realization that your expectations regarding refunds were perhaps unrealistic I am very curious (granted it isn't my business) as to whether you think, in retrospect, the falling out with your friends was worth the yes-yes to your sanity. Not trying to be judgemental here, just wondering how that all comes out.

mona Oct 20th, 2001 07:53 AM

My husband and I feel the same way Patrick feels. We take 4-5 international trips a year and without buying insurance each time we figure if we have to cancel one trip without refund we are still well ahead. <BR> <BR>Patrick did we meet you in Kenya in June 2000?

Patrick Oct 20th, 2001 09:37 AM

Mona, no, never been to Kenya.

peter Oct 20th, 2001 01:07 PM

there may be diaster insurance with a small number of companies, no i have never heard of it before. i will tell you though that if it exists and is avaible ,the cost will be from very high to outrageous. that in itself will preclude most people from purchasing it.

cj Oct 20th, 2001 01:29 PM

To grasshopper. Yes we have settled down. It has been a reality check-- We did have a contract and the travel agents are in business this war is setting people back on their heels. I apologize for venting. Our friends went ahead to their sons wedding , which is today. I have not spoken to them at all since we canceled. Why call and add fuel to the fire and ruin their son's wedding. I have no idea when they are returning to the states, but I think we will make it up to them when we send their son his wedding check. I know this can not make up for our canceling out on them, but we did what we had to do and will see how the cards fall when they come back from Ireland. My husband said give them time to calm down. OK - now you know the rest of the story.

Jim Oct 20th, 2001 03:00 PM

I really think that there are a lot of you out there that think it costs an arm and a leg to buy cancellation insurance. <BR>I am not talking about terrorist attacks. I agree fully with Fran. <BR>I bought travel(cancellation) insurance with Access America thru Orbitz for next years trip to Europe. For $99.00, it covers our airline fare,$300 of lost Hotel deposits, Emergency medical insurance, and Emergency evacuation. <BR>Now you tell me how not buying this insurance can buy you umpteen future trips.True if I didn't buy thru Orbitz, the premium would have been triple the rate. I called Access America and asked why the big difference in price, and they told me that Orbitz gets special rates due to their size(orders) <BR> <BR>p.s. Let's get our terminology in order.Travel insurance is not Cancellation insurance.

Carol Oct 20th, 2001 03:21 PM

I have occasionally bought travel insurance, but I would not have expected it to cover cancellations due to terrorism, war, fear of terrorism or war, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, employer's withdrawal of approval for my vacation time, my change of heart re going on trip, or many many other reasons. I read the K carefully before purchasing. When I did get the insurance, it was usually because I was going on a walking tour somewhere in the boonies where there was more than the slightest chance that I might've been injured in some place far from a road and it could've cost thousands of $ to get evacuated. Travel insurance DOES cover emergency evacuation.

cj Oct 20th, 2001 03:41 PM

To Carol - I'm trying to make light of this so please don't be offended. I wonder if Bin Ladin took our evacuation insurance. Again, I am a little paranoid about the subject and don't want people jumping down my throat, but it struck me funny. I am sure there is Evacuation Insurance. But I have never seen Terrosim Insurance. Wow-sounds like you go on some super trips

interesting Oct 20th, 2001 08:34 PM

I dont know who you guys are booking with, but Italiatour allowed me a new booking at no charge in the next 18 months, or a full cancellation w. refund w. only a $100 fee. CIT rail also allowed me to cancel my old train tix and get new ones along w. new reservations at no charge.

chris Oct 21st, 2001 03:05 AM

a very timely article in today's Seattle Times about cancellation insurance. <BR> <BR>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/tex...perkins21.html <BR>

xx Apr 17th, 2002 07:52 AM

ttt for ?