Why so many travelors love ITALY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Italy is my favorite country to visit...people,food, cappucino, just the joy of living. I'm new to Fodor's and notice that Italy seems to be mentioned more than any other country in Europe...then Paris and France...and that's a whole other story presently! Anyway, why do so many of you love to visit there again and again. I never seem to get enough.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 02:09 AM

I agree totally. Although I love visiting France, Belgium, Switzerland etc.. I never get enough of Italy. I think part of it is the food, the weather, the great scenery and history . Love the evening passegeria, the long relaxed meals, the wonderful small food shops filled to the brim with what would be delicacies in our home town. But mostly I really enjoy the people,especially outside of the larger cities. I've found them warm, welcoming and smiling. It doesn't take long in a small town or village before the locals are recognizing and greeting us. Anyway can't wait to go back.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Bella Italia combines all of the assets that we associate with Europe travel:<BR>HISTORY<BR>ART &amp; CULTURE<BR>WONDERFUL FOOD<BR>HISTORIC QUAINT VILLAGES<BR>LAKES &amp; MOUNTAINS NATURAL SPLENDOR<BR>COASTAL FISHING VILLAGES<BR>STUNNING ARCHITECTURE<BR>FRIENDLY PEOPLE WHO LOVE LIFE<BR><BR>These are just some of the the reasons why so many love Italia. We will be going back for our 12th visit in Oct.<BR>Oh yes--did I mention gelato?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Bob<BR>for the first time I think, I want to disagree with your comments.<BR>Gelato should have been first!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:24 AM

All I can say is..I returned from a three week trip to Italy more relaxed and rejuvenated than I have ever felt.<BR>I'd go back in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Gino

We love Italy, it's towns, people and sights. We also love France and include it in all our trips.<BR>Speaking the language in Italy certainly doesn't hurt.<BR>After having traveled to all of Western Europe and most of Eastern Europe, we now settle for Italy and France.<BR>This summer will be our tenth trip to Europe, the last eight being for six weeks.<BR>We live to plan and return there every year.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I love Italy the best because the people don't flaunt attitudes like those in France. I want to go on a trip to experience a culture w/o worrying about how I will be accepted and I have been to France and Italy many times. I find myself getting more stressed in France dealing with the Frence attitudes. In Italy it is the La Dolce Vita.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Gino

To ladyfirefly,<BR>I too have been to France many times, and not once, did I have a bad experience with anyone there.<BR>Let's not have present day politics at the UN influence our attitude to the Frence people.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:03 PM

I love Italy, France and Greece equally. On my last trip I stayed three weeks in Florence and by the end I was becoming so comfortable with life there I felt like I lived there. The italian way of life is infectious. When the local shop keepers, stall holders see you each day going by and say hello you feel so welcome. Each morning I would stop at a cafe for my first coffee of the day, one day I only had a 100 Euro note which I had not had time to change anywhere. Pay me tomorrow, said the cafe owner who spoke more english than most people I encountered. It is only a lttle story but one incident which I remember because it demonstrated the trust and hospitality of the italian people which I experienced everywhere.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM

While we LOVE Italy, as a European I have to say that a lot of Americans seem to think that Europe consists of only 3 countries: England (for passing through), France and Italy!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Ardfert

I like Italy largely because it has so many wonderful historical buildings,paintings and sculpture.Rome,Florence and Venice have some of the finest buildings you are likely to find anywhere.Almost every town has a beautiful old church which often has wonderful paintings.I like the climate but avoid the summer-spring and fall are the best.On the negative side modern Italy has little to offer.The number of English speakers is quite low,although all young people now have a basic knowledge.A recent survey quoted on this board showed that Americans most enjoyable vacations abroad were in Ireland,Australia,New Zealand,Britain and Austria.

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Gino, I am glad you have had nice trips to France, I have had nice times there too. I do find that the French people, in general, do not have the carefree attitude that the Italians do. <BR>I have rented villas in France for a few summers and love the country, but it is a little more stressful TO ME.<BR>