Why is this forum moving so slow today?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:54 AM
celia Lynn

Why is this forum moving so slow today?

Took 17 minutes to get connected, now I can't scroll the messages. Is anyone else having this problem?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:05 PM
Patrick

I have found that this site has been very slow lately, but thought maybe it was my Gateway internet service. Have been toying with the idea of switching to AOL so inserted one of those 1 month free discs and am currently using AOL. It is no different. Several times today I bring up a post with maybe twelve responses and it can take up to 2 minutes for them all to unload so I can scroll all the way through them. When I get to the "next 50 messages" I finally gave up because nothing would happen for over 5 minutes. I tried it twice. I'm beginning to suspect that it is Fodors and not just me. Also more and more when I click on to the site, I get the message that "this page cannot be found". What's up with that? I just try again and usually it comes up on the second or third try.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:07 PM
Ann

It's been bad enough for the last day or two but tonight it's like wading through treacle.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:53 PM
Faye

Ditto!!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:58 PM
Patrick

Ann, I love the international flavor your response gives. "Wading through treacle" is so much more vivid than our "slower than molasses".

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:00 PM
nancy

Patrick,
definitely not your provider.
I use a small local provider, and found that since Tuesday, things are very slow.
I e-ed fodor's about it, just to alert them (one of many I am sure).
Remember a few weeks ago, or in January, someone posted a *very* rude thread on this problem, but at the time, it seemed that most of us were not having that same problem then.
It is difficult, because computer time is limited for most of us, according to "free" time in our day.
And we have all become so use to instant connections, etc. with the internet.
I hope they fix it soon, so I will have time to read more posts, before my time is "up".

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:10 PM
Judy

Hello All, I thought that it was because I am using my daughter's computor...she has Mindspring as an ISP and I have cable modem. Definitely is this site! Judy

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ger

Response is really apinfully slow today and I think some posts may have gone missing (a couple of mine did). I think they were doing maintenance.

If you are wondering if it is your ISP or the site, check your connection speed - you should be connecting at around 31,000 bps via dail-up; if its around 9,600, disconnect and try a fresh connection.