Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why is no one afraid to travel now that we face WW3 with India and Pakistan at the brink of full scale war?

Why is no one afraid to travel now that we face WW3 with India and Pakistan at the brink of full scale war?

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Guy

Back in September this web page was full of people who cancelled their vacations regardless of the money they would lose because they were convinced that America was entering a war that would destroy cities all over Europe and make traveling extremely difficult. Well almost four months has passed and all the people who cancelled their vacations out of fear look a little silly.

Now we are facing a more serious threat when two powerful armies "with the bomb" are ready to go to war and people on this site are acting like nothing is happening. They are still asking about the best place to eat in Paris and traveling like nothing ever happened. What about the upcoming war in west Asia?

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:42 PM
max

Actually Guy, we were all making travel plans with no threat of war in the USA when we were hit by a terrorist attack...that is not quite the same as hearing about India and Pakistan arming up again..And maybe there are a lot of people that are worried, have you looked at the sites for those countries rather than Europe?

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Danna

Guy
Because life goes on... I'm going forward with my plans and life ... Keukenhof and Kirkcudbright here we come!

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Patrick

Guy, I was born in 1946. Could you please list the days between then and now, when there was not a threat of war, terrorism, natural disaster, or the possiblility of a mad murderer who could have killed me? As a kid in school we practiced hiding under the desks to protect us from the nuclear bomb that the Russians were definitely sending any day. I could have been hit by a truck or been in a fatal accident any day of my life. I have never spent my life worrying about what could happen, and I don't intend to start now, thank you. If it makes you more comfortable to put your life on hold so that in the event you are killed in a war you won't have experienced the things you want, then more power to you.
Personally I just think it's all the more reason to travel before something does happen to all of us. If we don't go on with our lives and if like you suggest we do all get blown away in WW3, what will we have accomplished by being in hiding until it happens?

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:13 PM
John G

Actually, Guy, Im more terrified of the state of the US economy than I am over the possibility of a full-scale war. I would rather be in Delhi right now than read another horror story in my local paper about people being forced to live in homeless shelters because they have lost their jobs. I think travel and the possiblity of being blown up is secondary with the thought of all the Americans who will go to bed hungry and cold tonight.

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:22 PM
kavey

Patrick

WOW

Are you reading my mind? That's exactly what I feel.

Guy, I take your worries very seriously, but as Patrick says, there have been very few times in our lives when there hasn't been the threat of war, or an actual war happening somewhere in the world.

Whilst I might think twice about my plans if they directly involve a country which looks likely to be affected, I will otherwise continue to live my life the best I can.

Also, as someone else mentioned, with this being the Europe forum, there will be less impact on travel there than caused by September 11th. Before you remind me that the attacks on that date were in the US, remember that some of the strongest allies of the USA were here in Europe and therefore almost as much threatened by subsequent attacks as America.

With this situation in India and Pakistan, travel to Europe isn't as affected...

Because people aren't cancelling their whole lives doesn't mean they aren't worrying about the situation and praying for a peaceful outcome.

That's true for me for sure.

I am continuing with my plans for Paris and Venice, and at the same time hoping desperately for peace. Most of my family live in India.

Kavey

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Jannie

Guy, I too am concerned and frightened about the possibility of a full scale global war. However, I have made the personal choice to contiue living my life the best that I can. War is in my thoughts and prayers, but I am not allowing the fear of what 'may' happen control my life decisions. If I was chosing to travel to that part of the world, yes I would probably alter plans.
Truth is, anything could happen to any of us at any time. Those killed in NY and Washington and Pennsylvania were going about their daily lives when terror struck. Part of my life includes travel and I am personally choosing to continue living out the dreams that I have. Mine just happens to include visiting parts of Europe that I have not seen yet. Because I choose to travel does not mean that I do not worry about the future or think, pray, or mourn for those lives lost . I am choosing to not let those things take over my waking thoughts.If I let them, I would never leave my home.
Amen Patrick. I agree with you!

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Cindy

Guy, of course everyone makes plans now with an eye on the world situation--be it economic or political.
I've decided however, to continue planning my trip to Europe for June and just keep a watchful eye on the news. I can always cancel if things look iffy, but for now, I'm going ahead with my plans. If we all cancelled everything whenever something bad happened in the world, we'd never go anywhere--just sit and home and dream...I'm hoping this one dream of mine comes true in June!

Dec 30th, 2001, 04:05 PM
ack

If there's a nuclear war, staying home won't save me from radioactive fallout.

I'd rather distract myself travelling, then stay at home chewing fingernails.

Dec 30th, 2001, 04:56 PM
mimi taylor

No one should tell someone what to do. If you are afraid, don't fly, stay home.
I know your fear is real, but for others like myself, we love life too much to live in fear but truly pray, and care there will not be war between India and Pakistan or any other country. I and my country hope for a new year of peace.

Dec 30th, 2001, 05:09 PM

topping for Guy.

Dec 31st, 2001, 04:24 AM
bob

>"Actually, Guy, Im more terrified of the state of the US economy"

Amen brother...We have enough bombs/firepower to eliminate both India AND Pakistan. Im not worried about those two clowns. Im more concerned about getting laid off.

Dec 31st, 2001, 04:24 AM
Jerry

I suspect when the war starts in a few weeks, that worldwide air travel will be stopped or disrupted and many people will be stuck where they are. I am staying home where it is safe!

Dec 31st, 2001, 06:07 AM
anon

Here's a short story; hopefully I can take a lesson from it. My mother in law has been fighting cancer for several years, some times better than others. She and my Father in law had plans to visit family in her native Italy last October. She got nervous about traveling and cancelled the trip. Now the cancer is back with a vengeance and has had her in the hospital since Christmas. She'll probably never be strong or healthy enough to travel again, if she even lives another year.

We're all going to die of something; sure it could be a result of an airplane bomb on the way home from seeing the Coloseum, or it could be from wasting away from a horrible disease. I'd like to see more of the world, even if I die trying.

Dec 31st, 2001, 06:10 AM
JustaThought

Anon has a good example of what some of us are trying to say...the people that went to work that morning on Sept 11th-had plans, no thoughts of war,India or Pakistan problems,you never know when your time will come and wouldn't you rather have had a life lived than sitting around being afraid?

Dec 31st, 2001, 06:31 AM
Pickens

Here's another amen to JohnG...You are a decent human being. In light of everything that happened 9/11, we need to continue to care about our fellow citizens and all humans on this planet. I am concerned about many things including the posssible war in India/Pakistan. I hope that the diplomats prevail and the world needs to help find the terrorists who precipitated these events.

Instead of hiding, I find the best response to troubled times is to be active. I spent a wonderful Christmas morning helping out at my local homeless shelter. I plan to travel in 2002 because I cannot live my life in fear. Like others, I have seen too many people who put their lives on hold only to find it too late to do what they have dreamed.

Dec 31st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Michael From New York

I live in Manhattan, and I travel to my office by means of a ferry. We were on the Hudson River on September 11th at the exact moment that the second plane hit the towers. The first plane had already hit, only we did not know what had happened at that time. Many people were killed instantly as the plane crashed into the tower. So those people died at their desks.

Other people were killed on the street as fiery liquid death [falling jetfuel] fell on them while they were waiting for a bus.

After 11 Sept I did not cxl my travel plans because I was frightened. I went on with my plans, and I flew from NY to Hong Kong to Bangkok to Phuket and back in October and November.

I late November I flew to Florida with American Airlines, and yes - I was frightened.

Last week, 7 people were killed on a New York Street corner, as a car went out of control. Those people were just going home from work or Christmas shopping.

So where is it that will allow ANYONE to be safe. There's no such place. You can never be completely safe and still have a life.

For many of us that post here, TRAVEL is extremely important. Why curtail travel because of fear. You can die at home or abroad while doing something completely 'safe'.

I would not go the Middle East at this time, not would I travel to India or Pakistan at this time. But I'll still go on a vaction in March 2002.

Want to be safe, then you must live away from civilization - and then see if you can earn a living, or enjoy life's diversity.

By the way, plenty of people are NOT traveling - ask those laid off by the airlines, and the hotel industry.

Michael From New York

Dec 31st, 2001, 09:06 AM
Marge

The truth is the war between Pakistan and India would (or will) most likely take place with conventional weapons. Although both countries have the nuclear bomb, neither country has missiles with nuclear warheads as of yet, though it would be easy for them to change that. Still, they don't have a sophisticated delivery system, and the missiles, if I'm not mistaken, don't travel much farther than 1,500 miles (which would enable them to bomb each other).

Dec 31st, 2001, 10:06 AM
Joanne

We have lived through WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf, etc. We don't have that much time left and we do not intend to spend it sitting home worrying. If we had made plans to travel shortly after 9/11 we would have done so. We have plans to travel in May 2002 and look forward to going come hell or high water.

Many above have expressed far more eloquently than I could that no place is 100% safe and life is too short to spend it worrying about what might happen.

We too worry about the economy and those who were comfortable, and are now out of work and suffering. We also are concerned about the state of the world and our seeming inability to enjoy peace for any length of time. But we must go on in spite of those things and that's what we intend to do.

j

Dec 31st, 2001, 11:25 AM
Patti

Well, Guy, I am afraid to travel overseas right now. I keep thinking of a terrorist or some other nutcase taking over the plane and ramming it into something and how I would feel while this is happening. But I am getting the urge to travel again also. I love Italy and when I look at my old notes and pictures or posts here on Fodors about Italy, I feel like I am missing out on so much by being fearful. So just today I decided to go ahead and start planning a trip to Italy next Spring. If I can endure the plane ride over and not anticipate too much on the fear of the return flight, I should have a great time once again.
Just a little personal note of how I feel.