Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why don't hotels list prices or price range online???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get tired of having to email a hotel/b&b/apartment asking about price and availability only to find out the price is way out of my range. If a general price point would be listed in their website I would know whether to waste my time sending out e-mails or not! Rant for the day!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM

Usually if you just click around on a site, you'll find a place where they list rates, shown by the various seasons. I've had very few situations where I've needed to actually send the hotel an e-mail to learn the price. Is this prevalent in some countries rather than others?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM

Several reasons I can think of:
1) Price goes out of date very quickly and some websites are only updated infrequently.
2) They offer such a vast range of prices depending on room, season, special offer etc and it's just not practical or meaningful even to state a range, like $100 to $500.
3) Stating price range can put off potential customers. If it's two low, some assume it's low in quality and service and go elsewhere. If it's considered too high, people just assume it's beyond their budget and don't bother. By not stating price info, the hoteliers hope they have a chance to 'sell' their property - its location, service, amenities etc - and keep potential customers sufficiently interested.

Tripadvisor gives a range of prices for each property, which is necessarily very rough and ready and may bear no relation to how much you'll end up paying.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
many times - especially w/ hotels -- if you start the booking process (w/o actually booking/paying), a new screen will come up w/ availability/rates for the dates you enter.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

Have not found htis the case at all. Perhaps with smaller B&Bs. Almost everyone I look at has ratews listed.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM

Odd... I almost always find a hotel's tariffs on their site... is there a particular country where you find this problem?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
yk

I agree with others.

For smaller B&Bs, the rates are usually posted on the main website.

For bigger hotels, I usually cannot find the rate until I go through the reservation link - type in my dates, and it shows the rates for those dates.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

I have noticed this more this year as I plan our Italy trip. I usually just look at the website and often there is no price listed so I find it hard to judge if it is in my price range. No biggie, I guess, just a little irritation.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM

I guess it's just me.. I have not had any issues finding the rates for any hotels that I have looked at in Spain or Portugal...

If they don't list a price I am probably not bothering to deal with them. In most cases lately I seem to have lots of choices since Travel is down.