Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why do you love Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-do-you-love-paris-822586/)

TPAYT Jan 20th, 2010 08:15 AM

Why do you love Paris?

This is something I've been thinking about.. Why do I love Paris? After 7 trips to Paris you would think that I have had my fill and would like to move on to other places. But even though we are headed to the beach for our winter vacation, I still can't stop thinking about Paris.

What is it? The people, the food, the wonderful sights, walking along the Seine, the shopping? I couldn't pinpoint it, but MDH did. It's the feeling that I have when I am there----complete contentment and a feeling that I've come home.

Why do you love Paris?

avalon Jan 20th, 2010 08:24 AM

Same as above! And I just booked our 26th trip for October!!

Nikki Jan 20th, 2010 08:26 AM

I wrote this in answer to the same question a few years ago:

I don't love Paris because it is beautiful. Is it beautiful? I love the funkiness of the apartments I have briefly inhabited there, the winding creaky staircases and the tiny elevators in the stairwells. I love that there is much more to see than I will ever see. Many more concerts than I can ever attend. Much more theater than I could hope to understand. All in French. The snippets of conversations that I hear and overhear and puzzle together into something comprehensible that may or may not resemble the actual meaning.

I love the music that leaks out of the nightclubs, the opera singers rehearsing in an apartment somewhere nearby, the piano being practiced somewhere else.

I don't love it because it is stylish. I love the cheese guy who throws in a camembert when I haven't ordered it. The old woman at the Porte de Vanves flea market who, when I return and she lowers the price of the old copper pot and I thank her says, "Non, c'est moi qui vous remercie." The several women who have commented on how they could tell immediately that my daughter and I were mother and daughter although the comparison is extremely flattering to me and not so much to her.

I love the people who compliment me on my deeply flawed French. I love the people who say hello to everyone in the wine bar when they enter and good-bye to us all when they leave. The restaurateur who invites my husband into a cafe for a coffee when he runs into him the morning after we dine in his restaurant.

I love the memory of my trip to Paris when I was a college student and I shared the cheapest hotel room in Paris with two friends and there was laundry hanging in the alley outside our room.

I don't love Paris because of the food. Oh wait, I'm lying.

I don't love Paris because of its history. I love it because of my own.

TPAYT Jan 20th, 2010 08:42 AM

Bravo Nikki----fantastic description.
=D>

Michel_Paris Jan 20th, 2010 09:36 AM

Nikki...bravo! I wish I could express it as well as you

Judyrem Jan 20th, 2010 09:42 AM

Hard to beat that Nikki! :-) We are going in April....again....that about says it all.

AGM_Cape_Cod Jan 20th, 2010 09:52 AM

I think this thread should stop after Nikki's comments. I will just say Moi aussi!

Judyrem Jan 20th, 2010 09:56 AM

Moi aussi :-).

Margaretlb Jan 20th, 2010 10:29 AM

Moi aussi!!

AlReady2Go Jan 20th, 2010 10:42 AM

Oui, Moi aussi

jetsetj Jan 20th, 2010 10:47 AM

on the flip side...
what does Paris love about me?

my willingness to embarrass myself with trying to speak French.
my willingness to gain weight in order to try all the pastries.
my willingness to get blisters in order to see as much of her as I can.

scatcat Jan 20th, 2010 10:49 AM

Been there and done all that!

malelion55 Jan 20th, 2010 11:14 AM

I love Paris in the spring time
I love Paris in the fall
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles

I love Paris every moment
Every moment of the year
I love Paris, why oh why do I love Paris
Because my love is here

She's there, she's everywhere but she's really here...

Guenmai Jan 20th, 2010 01:29 PM

I wouldn't say that I love Paris although I've been 1-2 times a year, almost annually since the mid 1970s, but I like it because it's an easy vacation as far as getting around in the city and it's architecturally very pleasing. I'm a very visual person.

Also I'm totally into fashion, and it's a great city for that. However, I'm probably more into Italian fashion, but haven't found it as easy to move around in the Italian cities that I've been to. Plus, in Paris no one really bothers me, as I usually travel alone. I can just roam around and be left alone in my thoughts. So, that's probably why I have gone back so much.

If I only took one overseas vacation a year instead of the two or three that I take, then I probably wouldn't be in Paris so much. But, by being able to take more than one overseas vacation a year, most of the time, I can have my cake and eat it to, so to speak. My two overseas stables are Bangkok and Paris. Hopefully I can move part-time to Bangkok within the next 7 years and not have to fly back and forth so much from L.A. Happy Travels!

DancingBearMD Jan 20th, 2010 01:37 PM

One thing that struck me about Paris is that while many cities have one or a few areas that are very charming and pedestrian-friendly, central Paris is absolutely filled with them, each with its own character. And then you throw in a centrally-located navigable river, easily crossed by a series of lovely and varied bridges, and voila!

TPAYT Jan 23rd, 2010 08:12 PM

I Just had another thought about the random acts of kindness that we have experienced in Paris.

Entering a neighborhood store with things from a bakery and fresh juice from another shop and having the clerk give us a bag to hold all even though we we only buying a small item from his shop.

And a desk clerk offering us euros from her purse for a cab to be returned the next day because the ATM wasn't working----try that in Chicago, never happen.

Unfortunately, the Parisians have a reputation of being cold and rude and it's just the oposite. They are some of the warmest people we have ever met on our travels.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 23rd, 2010 08:41 PM

One of the things I love is the terrific amount of art exhibitions. Not the permanent collections of museums, but the huge array of temporary shows that are sometimes just so great I can't believe it. Feasts for my eyes. I go back again and again for the art.

I too consider Paris and easy vacation; easy to plan, easy to get around, easy to find myriad wonderful things to do.

cigalechanta Jan 23rd, 2010 08:42 PM

To love Paris is to love life.
bravo,Nikki.

brando Jan 23rd, 2010 09:17 PM

I love the art, cheese, wine, and the bread among other things.

Denise Jan 24th, 2010 01:57 AM

Topping.