Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why do people as they get on the plane dump there carry on's in the overheads ..

Why do people as they get on the plane dump there carry on's in the overheads ..

Sep 6th, 2001, 05:46 PM
pedra

That are no where near where they are sitting. meaning, when rows 10 - 30 get on first and they head to there seats they take the over head bins near seats 1-10 and put their belongings in them. Why??? When I get to my seat there are no bins avaliable. So when it is time to disembark I have to wait until the plane has totally emptied, make my way to the back to retrieve my overhead carry bag. Not to mention the hassle in the beginning to find a place for it. This is unconsiderate and rude and I would never place my belongings over the head of another passengers seat if I did not have to. Why do people do this? I was with my boyfriend one time, and he asked who's "stuff" was in the overhead bin above our seats. No one answered and he proceeded to pull it out, then someone spoke out. I am not saying that was correct on his part. But the person who stashed there "stuff" in our area did not want to speak up either. What is proper and why? But most of all do not give responses defending selfish and lazy behavior.

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Art

Pedra, I know exactly what you mean. It is up to the airlines to patrol this but they do not. Maybe a letter writing campaign to the airlines might help.
Regards,
Art

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:07 PM
visitor

For some strange reason, these bozos think that having their luggage in the overheads up front make it easier for themselves. They don't have to lug it down the aisle to where they are sitting. They either don't realize or don't care that the passengers up front have to trudge to the back to stow their stuff and then wait until the entire plane is empty before they can walk back to retrieve it. I think the flight attendants could be a little more attuned to this and make passengers bring their belongings back to where their seats are. I mean, really, how difficult is it?

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:16 PM
StCirq

Yes, these people are a nuisance. They're also pretty stupid, it seems to me, as it takes just as much time to get your stuff down from an overhead compartment that's over your seat and then lug it down the aisle as it does to walk down the aisle and hold everybody up while you're getting it down from a compartment up front (probably takes more time on average for the latter). Yes, the attendants should be on the lookout for them, but they generally don't seem to. These days when I fly coach, which is most of the time, I just resign myself to all kinds of problems and try to think positive thoughts about the fact that I'm on my way to someplace wonderful. If I fretted about all the inequities and behaviors of fellow passengers, I'd need drugs.

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Leslie

There are ways to combat this problem. Airlines board the seats in the rear of the plane first, so when you request a seat assignment get one at the very rear of the plane and board first, that way you have the opportunity to get your carry-ons into the overhead first. Also, you're closer to the restrooms. If you don't get a seat at the rear, the attendants don't mind you boarding earlier than when your seat assignment is called anyway. Of course, preference is given to people with children and the handicapped.

Here's my pet peeve ... when the plane lands everyone is in a rush to get off -- I despise all of that pushing and shoving. And people don't disembark orderly, they push and shove, and don't seem to lose control when you are in the aisle taking your belongings out of the overhead. I don't understand the rush, as most of us still have to check our luggage and we have to all wait for it to be removed from the plane, so what's the rush disembarking?

Leslie

Sep 6th, 2001, 07:05 PM
StCirq

Leslie: I agree about disembarking..what's the rush? But I do not like being at the very rear of the plane. The seats are sometimes more cramped and it's a better chance of dying in a crash, I'm told. Being close to the bathrooms doesn't bother me much as I usually make only one trip during an overnight flight and I do it while everyone else is sleeping (and I'm awake keeping sure the flight's on target and there are no competing flights out the left-hand window - well, someone's got to do it!)

Sep 7th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Leslie

StCirq,

Your response made me smile this morning. I see that I typed incoherently last night, but you got the gyst of what I meant. Anyway, I'm all for taking 2 of those blue pills and hour before departure so that I can snooze across the pond. I'm all for you being my navigator anytime. Regarding your thoughts on a crash, I doubt it really makes any difference. And, I think it might just be an illusion that the seats are smaller in the rear.

Best,

Leslie

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:57 AM
fio

Leslie and StCirq,
StCirq is right, you have a better chance of dying in a plane crash if you sit in the rear of the plane. The fire always starts from the back, near the tail (engines). Also because of the way planes are designed, the back and the front tend to be the places that get destroyed first in a crash. Also certain times the rear disengages from the rest of the plane and crashes first. Again due to the way planes are built.
Mind that this is for certain types of plane crashes.
Some Airlines make it so that seats at the rear have less leg room, that is where they usually put people with different class tickets, usually cheaper tickets.

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Cindy

My understanding is that there's no consensus as to the safest seats on a plane, with the possible exception that being near an exit is best so that you can evacuate.

I read an interview with a plane crash expert, and he said he could tell you the safest possible seat in the plane. But first, you had to tell him what kind of accident the plane was going to have.

The anecdotal evidence I've seen suggests no real answer to this. We've seen planes break apart in the strangest ways. Sometimes the front is best, sometimes the back is best. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

I just wish that people would leave the overhead bins open once they've put their stuff in it. If they are all closed, I have to hold everyone up while I keep opening bins to find one that's not full.

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:31 AM
elvira

The thinking, probably, behind grabbing the upfront bins is "all the overhead bins in the back will be full, so I'll just put my stuff here". My thinking "if the bins are full near my seat, the flight attendants will help me find a spot".

I usually only have a 21" rollaboard and purse, so I wait until most of the plane is empty before I get it out of the overhead...everybody else is waiting by the baggage carousal after nearly trampling everyone in their rush to get off the plane; I have a nice unimpeded stroll through Immigration/Customs eventhough I'm usually the last off the plane.

I think only twice in my years with carryons have I gotten something from it once it was stowed overhead. I do not understand people who muck about in those bags; did you forget you're a diabetic and you'll need insulin? Did you bring a paperback book and imagine you could read it with x-ray vision? Did you think you wouldn't need Kleenex for your headcold? WHAT!? And it's not once; the same people throughout the flight are in and out of that damn bag a dozen times! If you got up to get batteries for your Pacemaker, couldn't you have gotten out your sweater at the same time? Did you think it would suddenly get warm?

The worst I saw was on a completely full BAB flight London>New York. A grown woman dragged on a duffel bag that must have weighed fifty pounds. Every ten minutes she heaved it out of the bin, banging the shoulder of the guy sitting beneath. She'd plop the behemoth in the aisle and muck around in it. TWICE she did it while the attendants were serving food/drinks, and they had to wait until she got done mucking about (and she didn't hurry). My sister pointed out this was one of the downsides to not allowing firearms on board.

Sep 7th, 2001, 04:33 PM
longy

Your right Leslie!

Sep 7th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Melissa

What also peeves me is if you get to your section FIRST, and put something in the overhead bin on the side, not the middle....then the next person gets there and SHOVES your stuff to the side and SMASHES it with their large, bulky carry-on. I've had to get up and rearrange their stuff in order to get the space I am entitled to!

There's gotta be a new limit to carry ons. I mean, I know a lot of people bring their rollabouts on so that they don't have to check baggage. But if EVERYONE ends up doing it, the airlines will have to limit the rollabouts, too!!

Sep 8th, 2001, 12:26 AM
BTilke

I have cut way back on my carry-ons and now just bring a small (non roller) bag that could fit under my seat as well as in the overhead bin, and my purse. I used to be one of the people dragging rollers on board, but (confession time) an incident coming back from Chicago last year ended that--I had a roller bag stuffed with things from a convention. I was stowing it in the overhead bin (by my seat) and somehow lost my grip. It fell out and crashed very hard on the seat in front of me and then thumped to the floor. Fortunately, nobody was in that row (yet) or it could have really hurt them. I still got "the stare" from other passengers nearby (understandbly so). Anyway, that was the last of my days with heavy, bulky carry-ons. Unless I absolutely need something during the flight or immediately after or it's valuable (and small), it's checked. I still own a few rollers that qualify as carry-ons, but I do a lift test with them first. If I can't lift them repeatedly (loaded) over my head easily, then they're too heavy for carry-on and they're checked. As a result, I've learned to pack smarter and lighter.
BTilke (Brussels)

Sep 8th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Captain Stubing

The airlines (especially NW) tried enforcing the carry-on rule and you whiney-hineys bitched and moaned so much we relaxed the rules. As for the flight attendents becoming Overheadbin Polizei, they have enough to do making sure you retards fit through the aircraft door and figure-out that there's no third floor on the plane.

Sep 8th, 2001, 08:38 AM
BTilke

On most (90%) of my intra-Europe flights, they don't board by row. It's pretty much a free for all, especially for flights where you take a bus from the gate out to where the plane is parked. So the binhogs have a field day--they push to get on first, clog up the boarding while they stuff all their carryons in the overhead bins up front and then eventually meander to their seats in the back.
BTilke

Sep 10th, 2001, 04:54 AM
I hate carry ons

The answer is simple. These people are inconsiderate pigs. I say ban all carry ons except one bag, and that also includes purses and brief cases and lap tops. You get one bag and ONE bag only. It can be no bigger than an average size brief case/lap top carrier, and that is all you can carry on. Every thing gets checked. Do away with the overhead bins. Put back the shelves and only allow coats etc there. That will solve this problem.

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:28 AM
s.fowler

Thank you "I hate carryons" -- my phrase would have been -- "selfish boors", but you said it well

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:33 AM
linda

pedra, For all of the reasons that have been posted on various threads, I used to bring roll-ons when traveling. Reading Elvira's post almost made me nostalgic for those days--almost. The trip that has made me cringe at the thought of bringing carry-on luggage is forever stamped in my memory. On my departure flight my sons and I were nearly the last to board the plane. We had to wait patiently for other passengers to stow items and get settled-no problem. When we got to our seats all the overhead bins were full, but as we searched all of the closed bins they too were full. As we tried to turn around to go towards the front of the plane the few passengers that had boarded after us were blocking our way. It was awkward for all of us to move. Also they were smart enough to grab available space behind them. When the flight attendants finally were able to get to us in order to aid us, they were polite but obviously concerned with our situation. It was obviously difficult for them to accommodate three roll-ons. There were sighs all around-or was it my imagination? We were finally loaded into empty spots near the front of the plane. Phew.---But I still had not learned. On our return flight I decided that such a difficult situation could not be repeated. But once again we were among the last passengers to board. I was already tense wanting to avoid being a spectacle. As we walked down the aisle past filled rows of elderly, children, bonus milers, advantage passengers,etc. (I'm so jealous), to our seats- I took what seemed to be available space in open bins. It was a relief--until I met the bin police. An official looking gentleman started to clearly and loudly recite all of my transgressions stating in no uncertain terms that I was a rude uncaring passenger. I was mortified and he kept going ona and on. Finally, I asked him if he was part of the airline crew. When he said no-and he was insulted that I had interupted him-I walked away. In my humiliation I still was able to notice sympathetic looks from other passengers-it was that bad. In case your are wondering, the few empty spaces I wanted to use remained empty. I was embarresed for most of the flight and have not used carry-ons since.

linda

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:51 AM
linda

Sorry-Embarressed. What a word to misspell!

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:53 AM
linda

I can't stand it. I may never contribute again. EMBARRASSED.

linda

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO