Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why didn't our RER tickets work in Paris?

Jun 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

We used the metro and RER while in Paris last week but on one trip from Place St. Michel to Musee D'Orsay (one stop) on the RER our tickets wouldn't let us through the turnstile. Neither one of us in any of the turnstiles! My husband picked up a ticket from the floor and that enabled us to get through. Does anyone know why this happened? After that I was afraid everytime we used the train, that we would be locked in. I asked at the Information Booth and was told "thats strange."
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Has never happened to me in hundreds of trips except on few times and then i realized i had put in one of my used tickets by mistake.
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM

You may have used the wrong ticket.

Also, some turnstiles, if not fully cycled (the turnstile isn't completely returned to the original position) will block when a new person goes through. At the same time, the ticket is read and the system will refuse to accept it again for several minutes (which prevents several people from using the same ticket). In this case, waiting a while and trying again will generally work.
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM
ira

Hi E,

You have been the victim of the Dark Side of the Force.
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I have had tickets just not work sometimes -- it is a piece of machinery, after all, with a magnetic strip. I"ve had my Carte Orange ticket not work sometimes in one place and then work fine the next one. It is not common, but it happens. I just show the inspector standing there my valid card, and he lets me in through that side gate they can personally open.
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Your tickets may have been demagnatized. Or, you may have not been operating the turnstile correctly. On the RER C, you have to insert the ticket-pass through- take the ticket, instead of the usually insert-take-pass method used on the Métro. I have done that mistake several times until I got the Navigo smartcard.
Jun 15th, 2005, 12:06 AM

I used about 35 Metro/RER tickets last week. Several times the turnstile did not work. Once all the turnstiles were not working and everyone was allowed to pass without tickets. Those machines take such a beating, I am sure they are not all in working order all the time!