Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Vasco

Charming, friendly, rural, inexpensive.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:10 PM
dani

ttt

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Alan

Likes: Sintra & Obidos, both beautiful little cities. The seafood was excellent everywhere I went in Portugal. People were very friendly. Fado singing (strange, but moving). Great prices.

Dislikes: Parts of Lisbon were very dirty & run down. Poor train system vs. most of Europe. If you don't have a car you have to take a bus many places.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:22 PM
City

Sintra and Obidos cities??? What is the American definition of a city???

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:40 PM
lizbeth

I loved Portugal for the natural gentility and friendliness of its people, the faded and funky glory of Lisbon, the great wines and cheeses, the tooth-achingly sweet desserts and candies, and so on and on.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Alan

Etymology of 'city': Middle English citie large or small town, from Old French cité, from Medieval Latin civitat-, civitas, from Latin, citizenship, state, city of Rome, from civis citizen.

I conceed that 'town' or 'village' may convey their size better. Now back to pros & cons of Portugal...

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Assuming you get beyond the tour bus mandatory stops of Sintra, Lisbon, Evora, Obidos etc--you will find:
authentic old world charm
lovely fishing villages
friendly people
low prices
unique architecture
very ordinary food & wine

My favs include Viano do Castello, Marvao, Nazare, Lagos and most of the minho region. You will like it !

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Leslie

I loved the monasteries - the Manueline architechture was amazing. Mafra, Coimbra, Batala, Queluz Palace, Belem were some standouts. Sintra was misty and romantic - the highlight. Disappointments: We drove from Lisbon to Porto & back & the scenery was very unremarkable- like driving around the suburbs of Miami. Also, there were few medium priced hotels - either expensive or modest & charmless. (This was 8 yrs. ago, so the types of accomdations must have improved.) I wish I could have afforded to buy antiques - the quality of many items rivaled things I've seen in England & France and the prices were much better.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Carolina

Obidos - beautiful flowers
Nazarre - lovely beach
Estoril - overrated

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Shannon

The tiles on the buildings and the ceramics in the shops.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:04 AM
greg

anymore please?