Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why Can't You Fix The Korean Spambot Problem? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-cant-you-fix-the-korean-spambot-problem-1148955/)

StCirq Nov 8th, 2016 12:38 AM

Why Can't You Fix The Korean Spambot Problem?

It's been at least a week. Why can't you fix this? For us on European time it's annoying as hell to see this all morning.

Rubicund Nov 8th, 2016 01:23 AM

Agreed St Cirq. Out of the 50 posts on my front page, there are 41 of these cr*p ones. If I could be bothered to go to the next 50, no doubt it would be at least the same if not worse.

Rubicund Nov 8th, 2016 01:25 AM

...and as I posted, they all disappeared!!!!

Southam Nov 8th, 2016 04:32 AM

Let's remember the context here. We are all freeloaders, contributing nothing towards any maintenance or fix-ups. I'm grateful to Fodor's even with the nuisance of spam.

janisj Nov 8th, 2016 04:45 AM

IMO starting multiple threads about the spam isn't very productive (there have been about 8 or 10 threads on various forums) . You think they don't already know there is a problem?

Just my 2¢ . . .

kappa1 Nov 8th, 2016 05:28 AM

I thought you said you had a better things to do than creating a yet new thread ;-) but it's just another thread, does not hurt.

bilboburgler Nov 8th, 2016 05:55 AM

I'm not a freeloader, I'm offering free advice to bunch of people from all over the world that enhance Fodors' image and contact list.

Should I send an invoice?

cafegoddess Nov 8th, 2016 06:24 AM

kappa1

Lol

"StCirq on Nov 5, 16 at 11:55am

I can have a really beautiful life without Fodors, and so can all of you. "

colduphere Nov 8th, 2016 06:47 AM

This may be part of Kim Jong Un's cyber attack on the US election. In honour of himself he is starting small.

WoinParis Nov 8th, 2016 08:37 AM

My 2 cents :
Fodors site is outdated.
Has an outdated anti spam system

Fodors has one moderator who can easily remove spam at no cost (marginal).

Fodors is looking at short term solutions. They may be looking at long term solution.
They may be overlooking the fact that some of us might leave.

For info I didn't see any spam on TA yet their security sucked too (believe me on that one) and I am not sure they invested a lot to fix their own issues.
Rick Steves forum is also unaffected.

Spams attack the weakest sites....

bilboburgler Nov 10th, 2016 12:55 AM

now under attack from yet another Korean.

Fodors, time to pull the finger out please

millie2112 Nov 10th, 2016 01:41 AM

I wonder if they all come from one IP address that can be blocked... but seriously annoying.

jamikins Nov 10th, 2016 01:53 AM

Regardless it would be nice if the moderators would respond and explain the issue rather than just completely ignore us.

Macross Nov 10th, 2016 04:10 AM

The US forums are just as bad but with health tips. Cafegoodess, did you post in the Ireland forum in Korean or some Asian language? There is a post from you there.

mkataoka Nov 10th, 2016 07:07 AM

Hello!

The Fodor's team is indeed looking for solutions to fix the spam issue. The moderators and I have brought up the suggestion of using captchas, eliminating posts with certain characters in the title, shortening the 300 second rule and even switching to v bulletin up to tech.

However, the tech team has a lot of different issues and projects on deck that also need tending to outside of Fodor's and while this Fodor's issue is of high priority, they are doing their best to get to all of them.

Thank you all for your patience.

mkataoka Nov 10th, 2016 07:08 AM

and we also apologize for all the stress this has caused for many users.

jamikins Nov 10th, 2016 07:54 AM

Thank you for explaining! It helps to know what the issues are!

mkataoka Nov 10th, 2016 08:16 AM

Yes, I completely agree. We'll be sure to communicate any and all updates as we receive them.

WoinParis Nov 10th, 2016 08:57 AM

Yes communicating alleviate frustration. I keep telling my boss why I am doing crap. So at least he knows.

Christina Nov 10th, 2016 08:59 AM

Should I send an invoice?>>

yeah, why don't you do that, how egotistical, see which other message boards will pay you for your services. You are on Fodors because it amuses you, the same as most people, it's just a hobby that you enjoy, talking about travel.