Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Why can't I look American in Paris?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-cant-i-look-american-in-paris-365635/)

lucky03 Oct 13th, 2003 02:45 AM

Why can't I look American in Paris??

So shall I try to look German, Muslim, Polish, Irish, British, Australian?????

What's wrong with being who I am????

AllyPally Oct 13th, 2003 03:03 AM

Lucky, have you got some Paris 'issues' you want to tell us about?

The Doctor is IN.

lucky03 Oct 13th, 2003 03:10 AM

I just read a post about a concern of looking too American in Paris...should he avoid wearing American logos...Gap...Banana Republic, etc. and I wondered why should anyone be embarassed to display their identity? What do we have to be embarrassed about? There are probably as many "Ugly Europeans as "Ugly Americans."

AllyPally Oct 13th, 2003 03:17 AM

Aha, I see your point. I agree. I guess this person has never seen groups of Spanish or German schoolchildren in London!! Logo city.

jody Oct 13th, 2003 03:23 AM

Since there are at least 10 GAP's in Paris ..you might be taken for a Parisian anyway.

janis Oct 13th, 2003 03:27 AM

If this is a serious question - you don't have to worry about looking American. Just dress semi-conservatively and don't SCREAM American. Everyone will probably know you are American on sight even before you open your mouth - we do (in general) look and carry ourselves differently.

mrwunrfl Oct 13th, 2003 03:37 AM

Well, lucky03, the "ugly American" thing is not so much (or, not all) about physical appearance. It's about expecting everyone to speak English, comparing things there with the familiar thing back home ("we don't have/do that in U.S.")

And then there is the subject of manners. As I learned in another post, we Americans have no manners, the Europeand so, and the French may be snooty but have good manners.

hansikday Oct 13th, 2003 03:40 AM

Please explain why you think Americans have no manners. I think that's a bogus rap that wears thin in the cold light of day.

Maira Oct 13th, 2003 03:54 AM

This is one that sounds puzzling to me as well....the moment you open your mouth, the cat is out of the bag anyway. I have seen all nationalities on jeans and sneakers while on travel. The time I saw more American logos that I have ever seen while traveling in Europe was on a group of Norwegian school children visiting the Tower of London.

My only expectation from people in general is that if treated with respect, they would treat you with respect. It is the minimum a TRULY civilized human being should do.

Kate2 Oct 13th, 2003 04:57 AM

The only time I was ever embarrassed about being American was in London when I witnessed an American woman creating an ugly scene with a waiter because she did not order the salad he brought her.
She was wearing a suit, so I think you are safe wearing your Gap tee.
Mind your manners and you will be fine.

lucky03 Oct 13th, 2003 06:14 AM

Generalizations of any type IMHO are bogus. All the French or British or Germans. etc., etc., have manners?? Please...And the American who was embarrassed by the fellow American making a scene....could that not have been a local? Is that unthinkable?

bardo Oct 13th, 2003 06:18 AM

hansikday,
I don't know about YOUR town, but here in D.C. few businesses (movie houses, fast food , shops) show even basic manners: "good morning", "good evening" "how are you?" "thank you" "your welcome" . Here, responses to "thank you" (if any) range from "Uh Huh" to "no problem". Also, I've had wait staff at restaurants actually come to my table to ask if I'm "still working on that?" as if I am a pig at a trough or something. But maybe it's just my town....

Parfym Oct 13th, 2003 06:28 AM

Hi lucky03,
You could also go as an Italian:super tight pants,bare midrift and a calculated look of utter boredom, together wth a certain surliness.

Parfym Oct 13th, 2003 06:32 AM

Correction to the above. Please read:
"super-tight pants".

Ryan Oct 13th, 2003 06:45 AM

No matter the season, I always try and look European in Paris by wearing my two year old son's bathing suit and my sandals with black socks. It seems to work as I'm usually left alone and always seem to have plenty of room on the Paris Metro.

kismetchimera Oct 13th, 2003 06:55 AM

Parfym, the bare midriff and super tight pants is an international look.Take a look the way the girls or immature women were their bareness here in America. With the difference that at least in Italy the girls are super SLIM...and you dont see love handles sticking out anywhere..

kismetchimera Oct 13th, 2003 07:17 AM

Oopss, it should have been "wear" not were..

eric502 Oct 13th, 2003 09:54 AM

The only time I was ever embarrassed about being American was in London when I witnessed an American woman creating an ugly scene with a waiter because she did not order the salad he brought her.

Hey kate2, I think I'm embarrassed reading about you being embarrassed about being an American.

See ya later

eric502 Oct 13th, 2003 09:59 AM

With the difference that at least in Italy the girls are super SLIM...

All girls in Italy are super Slim?????? I didn't know that.

JMM Oct 13th, 2003 10:22 AM

Do tell Lucky03 - what is wrong with being who you are ? I am curious.
Having lived in Europe when I was younger I can tell you most Europeans REALLY do not care what you look like. Now on the other hand if your behaviour is rude and obnoxious, you may get some hostile looks but believe me it will not be because of the logo on your t-shirt.